STOWFORD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107423
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1952
Statutory Address:
STOWFORD HOUSE, IVYBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of STOWFORD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 06:39:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
STOWFORD HOUSE, IVYBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Harford
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 64093 56993

Details

SX 65 NW HARFORD IVYBRIDGE ROAD 11/79 23.4.52 Stowford House

II

Former manor house divided into 3 dwellings. C16 partly rebuilt and remodelled in C18. Stone rubble, part rendered and ashlar. Slate roofs. H-shaped on plan. The original to west and north has large external chimneystack on north side and inside the courtyard the north and west wings have some hollow-chamfered stone mullion windows with labels. One of the windows and 2 doorways have roll moulding, one of the doorways with 3-centred arch, the other round-arched with carved keystones. The west side has C18 3-storey, 3-bay rendered front with sash windows complete with glazing bars and keystone over. Over the west wing is a large stone chimneystack with arcaded sides crenellated above and with large stone finial cap. Another moulded stone stack at north gable end. Remodelled south wing with tall C18 3-storey, 3-bay south front, partly built of ashlar and with rendered parapet and architraves to the sash windows which have their glazing bars intact. Wide central glazed porch with pilasters, and entablature. Left hand (west) return is bowed on 3 storeys with 3 sashes to each floor. One bay 2-storey wing at opposite end to east. Including adjoining doorway to north-east. Probably reset and now forming a gateway to the courtyard. It has a C16 4-centre moulded stone arch. Interior: west wing contains large granite fireplace with 4-centred arch and roll moulding, blocked stone mullion window, stone moulded or chamfered 4-centred arch doorways. First floor room in west wing has early C18 panelling and C16 moulded chimneypiece. Adjoining room has granite C16 moulded chimneypiece with ogee head. Another moulded granite chimneypiece in next room. Also a west wing on C18 staircase. The south wing has an early C19 staircase. Birthplace of Thomas Williams (d 1566) Speaker of the House of Commons in 1563, and John Prideaux Rector of Exeter College, Oxford and Bishop of Worcester (1578-1650).

Listing NGR: SX6409356993

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
99187
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12426/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David T Simkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].