BLACHFORD VIADUCT INCLUDING ADJACENT PIERS OF EARLIER VIADUCT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107455
Date first listed:
02-Feb-1984
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Mar-2009
Statutory Address:
BLACHFORD VIADUCT INCLUDING ADJACENT PIERS OF EARLIER VIADUCT

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLACHFORD VIADUCT INCLUDING ADJACENT PIERS OF EARLIER VIADUCT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 10:17:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
BLACHFORD VIADUCT INCLUDING ADJACENT PIERS OF EARLIER VIADUCT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Cornwood
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX6080758284

Summary

A viaduct for the South Devon Railway including the adjacent piers of an earlier viaduct. The earlier piers were built in 1848 by Isambard Kingdom Brunel; the replacement viaduct was added in 1892 by Sir James Inglis.

Reasons for Designation

Blachford Viaduct and adjacent piers are designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

* Both the Inglis viaduct and the Brunel viaduct fulfil the criteria for national designation due to their architectural, engineering and historical interest. * The Blachford Viaduct is part of a wider group of listed viaducts throughout South Devon each of which contains the standard gauge, late-C19 viaduct together with the redundant piers of a broad gauge, mid-C19 viaduct. These structures demonstrate the significant technological and engineering advancements in the railways throughout that period.

History

The Blachford Viaduct was originally designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel for the South Devon Railway. It was opened in 1848 as part of the Totnes to Laira (Plymouth) line. This line consisted of the last extension of the Great Western Railway from Bristol to Plymouth. Originally built as a broad gauge railway, the line was converted for standard use in 1892 following a merger between South Devon Railway and Great Western Railway in 1876. Due to the conversion of the line from broad to standard gauge, the original Brunel viaduct was replaced in 1893 by a Viaduct designed by Sir James Inglis, the General Manager and Consulting Engineer of the Great Western Railway.

Details

CORNWOOD 102/11/56

MOOR CROSS

BLACHFORD VIADUCT INCLUDING ADJACENT PIERS OF EARLIER VIADUCT

(Formerly listed as: MOOR CROSS BLACHFORD VIADUCT)

02-FEB-84

II

A viaduct for the South Devon Railway including the adjacent piers of an earlier viaduct. The earlier piers were built in 1848 by Isambard Kingdom Brunel; the replacement viaduct was added in 1892 by Sir James Inglis.

MATERIALS: The Inglis viaduct is built of rock-faced granite and blue engineering bricks. The granite piers remain extant within the Brunel viaduct, which has lost its original timber deck.

PLAN: Ten round arches survive within the Inglis viaduct with the piers of the Brunel viaduct surviving to the north.

DESCRIPTION: Rock-faced granite piers support ten round arches of blue engineering bricks with granite spandrels and a brick parapet for the Inglis Viaduct. To the north are the granite piers which supported Brunel's original timber bridge.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10 October 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
99164
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04416/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].