WEST BUCKLAND SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107568
Date first listed:
13-May-1987
Statutory Address:
WEST BUCKLAND SCHOOL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST BUCKLAND SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 12:55:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST BUCKLAND SCHOOL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
East and West Buckland
National Grid Reference:
SS 66779 31535

Details

EAST AND WEST BUCKLAND SS 63 SE 3/69 West Buckland School -

- II

School. 1860-1 by R D Gould, enlarged to rear 1863 and 1871, range to west completed 1876, eastern range added 1933. Stone rubble with brick and ashlar dressings. Later additions chiefly brick. Slate roofs. 1860-1 range consists of 2½ storey centre block of 5 bays with 1½ storey lateral wings also of 5 bays. The right-hand (east) wing was rebuilt at the time of the addition of the eastern range after a fire in 1930. The 3-storey dormitory block at the left (west) end was added in 1876, the whole forming a rear courtyard plan. Centre block of 2½ storeys of 5 bays, the central bay rising to 3 storeys formerly with bell turret but now reduced to a pyramidal roof. 2 gabled half-dormers to each side with trefoil headed lights. Dated rainwater heads flanking central bay. 2- light mullions, those to ground floor have alternating brick and stone voussoirs and shoulder headed lights. Segmental arched central doorway with shouldered architrave to double plank doors, sidelights and stepped overlight. Pointed arched hoodmould to window over incorporating sheaf motif with motto 'Read and Reap'. Each wing has shouldered doorway to rear quadrangle with porch and leanto slate roof in the angle with the projecting central block. Left-hand (west) wing has full dormers to attic storey, 2-light mullions to each full storey, those to ground floor with pointed relieving arches of alternating brick and stone voussoirs. Right-hand (east) wing refenestrated after fire. Large oriel window to front gable end of 1933 range to right. 3 storey gabled dormitory cross-wing at left end with tower block in angle with broached corner and pyramidal roof. Stone brackets to eaves. Porch in angle with 2-centred arch. Tall buttresses to gable end with offsets flanked by stone mullion windows, 3 lights to ground floor, 2 lights above. Stepped vent to gable, the centre light cusped-headed. The school was founded in 1858 at South Stoodleigh (q.v.) by J L Brereton for the education of the middle classes, so bridging a gap in the education system which Brereton identified in his book County Education (1874). See Jon Edmunds A History of West Buckland School (1983).

Listing NGR: SS6677931535

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98922
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brereton, JL, County Education, (1874)
Edmunds, J, A History of West Buckland School, (1983)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14229/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].