EASTLEIGH MANOR HOUSE, INCLUDING HA HA TO FRONT ON SOUTH AND EAST SIDES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1107611

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1965

Date of most recent amendment: 29-May-1986

Statutory Address: EASTLEIGH MANOR HOUSE, INCLUDING HA HA TO FRONT ON SOUTH AND EAST SIDES

Map

Ordnance survey map of EASTLEIGH MANOR HOUSE, INCLUDING HA HA TO FRONT ON SOUTH AND EAST SIDES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107611 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 10:16:02.

Location

Statutory Address: EASTLEIGH MANOR HOUSE, INCLUDING HA HA TO FRONT ON SOUTH AND EAST SIDES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Westleigh

National Grid Reference: SS 48816 28003

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTLEIGH EASTLEIGH SS 42 NE 3/103 Eastleigh Manor House, including ha-ha to front on south and east 25.2.65 sides (formerly listed as Eastleigh Manor) GV II* Manor house. Late C15 or early C16 remodelled in late C16 or early C17 and again c.1800. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Bitumenised scantle slate roof to rear, slate roof to front, hipped at left end. Lateral rear hall stack with tapered cap, stone weatherings and brick shaft, axial stone rubble stack with tapered cap and drip, and brick ridge stack to rear left-hand wing. Complex plan development with later remodellings, the lack of access to main roofspace impeding a full assessment. The original late C15 or early C16 core probably consists of hall and present entrance hall. In late C16 or early Cl7 a wing was added to rear of hall and the front range extended to left and again to rear by the addition of a further wing forming an overall 3-sided rear courtyard plan, the front range now with single large rooms to each side of wide entrance hall. c.1800 the house was refashioned with gothick fenestration and features to create more symmetrical east and south facades, and in C19 an additional central rear wing was built, infilling part of the courtyard. 2 storeys. 5-window range, the 2 openings to left and one to right infilled and painted to resemble intersecting glazing bars. Remaining fenestration all with original gothick style sashes with intersecting glazing bars. Central Tuscan porch with timber columns and pilasters and 2 panelled door, the upper part glazed in similar style. The 2 windows on each floor to right, however, retain original late C15/C16 stone reveals, with elaborate hollow-ogee-casement moulded surrounds and dressed stone relieving arches. 2 fine C16 stone mullion windows at right gable end, 3 lights above, ground floor of 4 lights with similarly moulded surrounds and cusped ogee headed arches to the lights with quatrefoil and mouchette decoration in the spandrels. South side has 6-window range of gothick sashes with intersecting glazing bars and stone voussoirs, except at left end which is blind. 4 similar ground floor sashes with pointed arched door to left with cover strips, and 2 blind windows to left. Extending from left end of south side and to front right end of east side are courtyard walls with castellated parapets, that to the south side with 3 tall pointed arched plastered niches and gothick pointed arched door, similar door to east side flanked by niches. Interior: features survive from each successive remodelling. The hall retains hollow-moulded granite fireplace surround. Trabeated ceiling with elaborate roll flanked by hollow-ogee hollow moulded ceiling beams forming 6 fields. Late medieval stained glass to the gable end mullion window, the diamond leaded cames to the upper part each pane decorated with various scenes from the hunt, fleur-de-lis, etc., above 4 roundels containing heraldic shields with small painted arms below bearing Berry/Lambert crest. Wide chamfered ceiling beams to the rear wings with doorway to rear courtyard with sunk chamfer and scroll-stopped surround and original 3 plank door. Much of the remaining joinery of c.1800 remodelling intact with 2- and 6-panelled doors. Massive kitchen fireplace lintel to left-hand rear service wing (the stack demolished), heavily smoke-blackened and extending the entire width of the wing. Upper floor to rear right-hand wing has 4-centred arched doorway with hollow moulded surround and 3 plank door and cover strips at the gable end suggesting this wing formerly extended eastwards. The roof structure over this rear wing consists of 2 archbraced trusses with short curved feet with 2 tiers of trenched purlins, chamfers to the soffit of the archbracing to the morticed and tenoned collars and a lower tier of curved windbracing surviving to 3 bays on south side and to 2 bays on north side. No access to roof space to front range, but the structure over the hall is certainly late medieval with the elaborately moulded feet of the principals supported on moulded timber corbels. This is an exceptionally fine house with high quality features surviving from each successive remodelling.

Listing NGR: SS4881628003

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 98828

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing