PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1107886
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1950
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107886 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 07:48:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Medway (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 74412 69801

Details

STROOD CHURCH GREEN, TQ 7469 NW FRINDSBURY Parish Church of All 4/267 Saints 24.10.50 II* Parish church. Norman chancel, chancel arch, and much of the fabric of the nave, together (probably) with substantial part of the W tower; C14 S aisle and alterations to the tower (including S stair turret); restorations in 1824 and 1884 (the latter by Pearson who added - or rebuilt - the N aisle, renewed the window tracery (removed in 1824) and built the NE vestry). The oldest work contains much flint with ragstone dressings; the rest ragstone rubble with limestone dressings; shingle spire, Kent tile chancel roof and renewed tile roof to nave. The plan (W tower, nave and aisles, chancel without aisles, NE vestry) is unusual only in that the S aisle which contains the entrance, stops one bay short of the W end. Exterior. W tower, quoined without buttresses, battlemented (with exceptionally wide merlons), 3 stages (single cusped pointed openings to each stage, N, S and W); moulded arch to W doorway; polygonal stair turret to S. Renewed single broach spire. S aisle, and the single unaisled bay of nave S wall, all under plain parapet, with renewed 3-light windows (one with transom); S doorway within aisle. 4-light E window to aisle. Quoining of SE corner of nave visible. Chancel, S wall with blocked 2-light low-set window (for reading desk) immediately W of blocked priest's doorway. Single lancet and 2-light square-headed window. Chancel E: 3 low-set round-headed lancets under large wheel window (by Pearson). NE vestry (set transeptally) and N aisle (all Pearson) with plain parapet and 4-light windows. Interior: nave with 3- bay medieval S arcade (octagonal piers, 2 hollow chamfers to arches); N arcade by Pearson. Norman chancel arch, the abaci partly original; the flanking cusped openings renewed by Pearson. Chancel roof: early form (ashlar pieces, high-set tie with diagonal bracing) much renewed but with some medieval timbers; C19 nave roof with arched braced tiles, side and collar purlins with wind braces. Font: early C15, stone, octagonal bowl on panelled and buttressed stem with contemporary wooden cover. C19 furnishings, stone reredos, Last Supper in half relief behind open canopied arcade set within buttresses frame on plinth. Monument: remarkable wall monument to Thomas Butler (1621), a cumbersome shafted chest with wooden pedimented over-mantel with inscription. Minor early C19 mural monument in N aisle, one (George Gunning, 1821) signed by John Bacon, jr. another (Lady Staines, 1832), signed Samuel Manning, jr. Mid. C17 monuments in S aisle. Glass: E ensemble, Clayton & Bell (on stylistic grounds), Passion sequence in lancets, angels in wheel window above; S aisle (E) by Dixon, 1880s. A c.1860s tricento- style reredos now in tower. Reference: J Newman, West Kent and Weald. Buildings of England (2nd ed, reprint 1980, p 289).

Listing NGR: TQ7441269801

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
173202
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980), 289

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04833/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David G. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].