THE OLD LIBRARY AND WHITMORE COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1107944

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: THE OLD LIBRARY AND WHITMORE COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD LIBRARY AND WHITMORE COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107944 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 06:30:24.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD LIBRARY AND WHITMORE COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: Stokenham

National Grid Reference: SX 80726 42925

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKENHAM STOKENHAM SX8042 The Old Library and 14/222 Whitmore Cottage 26.1.67

GV II

Probably originally an agricultural building converted into 2 cottages one of which was formerly the reading room. Probably C18, converted in Cl9 and early C20. Plastered stone rubble and possibly some cob. Thatched roof with gabled ends and eyebrow eaves. Stone rubble stacks at gable ends with slate weathered set-offs heightened in brick. Plan: Pair of cottages with gable end stacks, originally an agricultural building. While the right hand section was converted into a 2 storey 1-room plan cottage the left hand part is said to have remained open and used as a reading room, later to be floored and converted into a cottage. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical. 2:2 window range, more widely spaced to left (The Old Library). All C20 2-light casements, except for late Cl9 3-light casement with glazing bars on ground floor left. Large C20 canted bay window with thatched roof to the left of centre (The Old Library) with late Cl9 panelled door to its left with C20 canopy above underbuilt with C20 porch. Doorway to right of centre (Whitmore Cottage) is in wide opening with cambered timber lintel and has C20 door and casement to its right. Interior: Only Whitmore Cottage was inspected. It has large stone rubble fireplace with rough unchamfered cambered timber lintel and oven buried in the side; later ceiling joists. Roof apace inaccessible but principals appear to be straight. Kelly's Directory of 1889 refers to "There is a Reading Room erected and furnished by A.F. Holdsworth Esq. for the use of parishioners". (A.F. Holdsworth of Widdicombe House qv).

Listing NGR: SX8072642925

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 100006

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1889)

End of official listing