THE MILLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108240
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
THE MILLS, WOODLAND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MILLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108240 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 00:30:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MILLS, WOODLAND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Harberton
National Grid Reference:
SX 78269 56232

Details

HARBERTON SX7856-SX7956 15/445 WOODLAND ROAD HARBERTONFORD The Mills

II

Woollen mill, later used as a corn and starch manufactury (White's Directory 1850), now occupied by agricultural merchants. Circa late c18 or early C19, reputedly 1789. Slate rubble. Slate hung on south side except for ground storey. Asbestos slate roof, gabled at west end and hipped at south east end. Slate hung end and axial stacks and rendered lateral stack. Plan: Long rectangular range with shorter wing at west end at obtuse angle. At the east end of, and integral with, the longer east range, is the office and managers house. The shorter west range has open floors with loading doors to each floor. The top floor was completely open from end to end continuing without partitions over the manager's accommodation and office. Axial stack to house and office, lateral stack to front of main range and gable end stack at left (west) end. Exterior: 3 storeys at east end a 4 storeys at west end, but roof the same height. Asymmetrical approximately 8-window range. Some old casements with glazing bars, some old windows with lapped glass panes. All the windows to the right hand east end of north front replaced with C20 casements, except for ground floor right which is an early to mid C19 French window with glazing bars and margin panes. The left hand range has wide loading doors on each floor with hoist above. Doorway on east end with semi-circular fanlight, and round-headed window to left, both with radial glazing bars. Windows on the outer north side have segmental brick arches, those to right (west) have iron bars but are now clad in corrugated iron. Most of the windows to left (east) are C20 replacements. Interior: The roof has bolted softwood trusses. The ground storey of west end has floor beams supported on iron posts which are said to have come from later adjacent mill building, probably when that building was reduced in height. Office has early C19 moulded chimneypiece and plaster ceiling cornice.

Listing NGR: SX7826956232

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101355
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]cEngland.org.uk.