TUCKENHAY HOUSE INCLUDING TERRACE BALUSTRADE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH EAST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108368
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
TUCKENHAY HOUSE INCLUDING TERRACE BALUSTRADE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUCKENHAY HOUSE INCLUDING TERRACE BALUSTRADE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108368 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 10:44:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
TUCKENHAY HOUSE INCLUDING TERRACE BALUSTRADE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashprington
National Grid Reference:
SX 81867 56167

Details

ASHPRINGTON SX85Nll TUCKENHAY 6/55 Tuckenhay House Including Terrace 9.2.61 Balustrade Immediately South East

GV II

House. Dated 1799, remodelled and extended in circa 1840. Rendered stone rubble. Asbestos slate hopped roof behind parapet. Right-hand wing has natural slate roof with pedimented gable end. Stacks over side walls with paved octagonal shafts an yellow day pots. Plan: Double depth rectangular plan. 2 principal rooms at the front, the drawing room to the left and a slightly smaller dining room to the right, with an entrance hall between leading to a stairwell at the back. The kitchen is at the back to the right and other service rooms and back stair are at the rear to the left. In circa 1840 the front of the house was refashioned and a wing of single storey and basement was added to the right hand side. The wing contains a large billiard room over a coach house in the basement which has access at the right hand end where the ground level is lower. The wing at the rear left, which apparently contains the wash house with a loft above, was probably also built in circa 1840. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front with a moulded cornice, blocking course with a lion couchant at the centre and rusticated quoins. Circa late C18 tripartite sashes, ground floor 5:15:5 panes, first floor 4:12:4 panes, all with C19 cornices above on console brackets. Central doorway has wooden Tuscan porch with columns and pilasters supporting an entablature, panelled reveals and a panelled door with a rectangular overlight with ornate tracery; the soffit of the canopy is panelled and the porch has a rusticated surround. The left had side has a circa late C18 or early C19 glazed garden door and side door in the service wing at the rear; the fenestration on the left hand elevation is asymmetrical. To the right of the house is the circa 1840 wing of single storey over a coach house; 3 large symmetrically disposed blind windows at the front with cornices on console brackets; the eaves is also supported on console brackets. The ground falls away sharply at this end and there is a deep plinth with a moulding over. The right hand return of this wing has a pedimented gable and a large C19 tripartite sash, 6:12:6 panes with a cornice on console brackets above. Below this window at the lower ground level is a segmentally arched coach-house doorway with plank double doors. The back of the main block has various later sashes and casements, the stair window replaced and and early C19 or late C18 panelled back door at the centre with a later canopy; one of the jamb quions is dated 1799. The service wing at the back has external steps to a loft doorway and a passageway through to the garden at the side of the house. Immediately in front of the house there is a terrace with a mid C19 rendered balustrade with vases over the piers flanking the steps at the centre. Interior: The interior is largely complete and its joinery intact including doors etc. The front left hand room has a reeded plaster cornice and a C20 chimneypiece; the front right hand room does not have a moulded cornice and the chimneypiece is a glazed tile 1930s one; both rooms have panelled window shutters. The Billiard room has a coved ceiling with a cornice and roof light and a large 1930s chimneypiece. At the back of the entrance hall an elliptical arch on decorative brackets, leads to a small open well staircase with stick balusters and a moulded mahogany handrail ramped up to the newels and wreathed over a column newel at the curtail; it has an open string with scrolled tread ends. On the first floor a large bathroom fitted out in the 1930s with large celadon green glass tiles with black bards at the top of the wall and a semi-circular mirror over the bath engraved with a sailing ship on a wavy sea. The bathroom is complete with its original fittings including a green bath and hand-basin. Tuckenhay House is said to have been the manager's house of Tuckenhay Paper Mill (qv).

Listing NGR: SX8186756167

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100964
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11953/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Christopher Fransella. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].