TUCKENHAY MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1108380

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1993

Statutory Address: TUCKENHAY MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUCKENHAY MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108380 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 20:06:12.

Location

Statutory Address: TUCKENHAY MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: Ashprington

National Grid Reference: SX 81638 55774

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORNWORTHY SX85NW TUCKENHAY 6/87 Tuckenhay Mill

GV II

Paper mill, converted to house. Circa 1829 converted to house in late C20. Slate rubble, colourwashed on north east side with boarded first floor and partly slate-hung on south west side. Grouted scantle slate hipped roof. Plan: L-shaped on plan main ranges with a cellar under the north west end. Single storey wing on the south west corner. Exterior: 3 storeys over a cellar at north west end where the ground is at lower level. The top (second) storey was originally open-sided with posts and wooden louvres or slats between; it is partly still open-sided and the first floor accommodation is set back inside forming a loggia. the stone north west end wall rises up to the eaves and has 2 blocked round-headed cellar doors with 2 basket arch openings on the ground floor and similar but blocked openings on first floor; 4 rectangular openings on the second floor, the centre 2 blocked. The north east side has wide elliptically arched cellar doorway to the right and a regular 6-window range of C20 casements with glazing bars on the ground and first floors; above the second floor originally open for ventilation with wooden vertical slats and now with some small late C20 aluminium sliding windows. Similarly slatted top floor of east wing to left with a later Cl9 2-storey lean-to addition in the angle with a vertically boarded front and a slate monopitch roof. At the north east end of the wing and ground floor a wide vehicular entrance with a timber lintel and late C20 aluminium window in vertically boarded storey above. The north west side of the main range is slate hung on ground and first floors and has late C20 casements with a late C20 timber balcony. Above the second floor is open with timber posts and some of the bays with vertical slats. To the right a low single storey wing with a hipped slate roof and late C20 casements. Interior: not inspected. Note: The paper mill is said to have begun work in 1829 (Hoskins). It produced high quality hand-made paper and was the only surviving 'vat\mill in Devon. Source: W H Hoskins, Devon (published 1954), page 322 (under Ashprington parish)

Listing NGR: SX8163855774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 100997

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hoskins, W G, 'A New Survey of England' in Devon, (1954), 322

End of official listing