WEMBURY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1108590
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1952
Statutory Address:
WEMBURY HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEMBURY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108590 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 04:05:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEMBURY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Wembury
National Grid Reference:
SX 53120 49207

Details

SX 54 NW WEMBURY 8/194 23/4/52 Wembury House

GV II*

Country house in landscaped garden, built on the site of a late C16 house. 1803. Stone rubble formerly rendered and with ashlar dressings and ashlar basement. Parapet with plain stone coping and string courses. Rusticated stone quoins. Slate hipped roof. Two storeys, attic and basement. Five bays. Large sash windows with glazing bars, in moulded stone architraves. Central doorway with large rectangular fanlight. fielded panel double doors and porch with slender Tuscan columns and entablature with cast iron balcony. Deep basement area in front with plain iron railings. One bay set back to left hand (north). East garden front also five bays, and with niches either side of central ground floor window. Interior: Relatively plain interior is virtually unaltered and retains its original joinery, plasterwork, chimneypieces and staircase etc. The house was built for Thomas Lockyer in 1803-6 on the site of a great mansion of Sir John Hele which was demolished to build a late C17 or early C18 house which in turn has been replaced by the present house. Sir John Hele bought the estate in 1592 and built what was reputedly an enormous house of which only the wall to the west q.v. survives. There is a drawing (by Edmund Prideaux) of Wembury House, dated 1716, depicting a late C17/early C18 house. It was then the seat of John Pollexfen. The drawing is now at Prideaux Place, Cornwall.



Listing NGR: SX5312049207

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100473
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07550/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter G. Willis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].