This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE KNOLE (NOW FREEMASON'S HALL)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE KNOLE (NOW FREEMASON'S HALL)

List entry Number: 1108837

Location

THE KNOLE (NOW FREEMASON'S HALL), KNOLE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bournemouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101783

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5186 KN0LE ROAD (West Side) The Knole (new Freenmason's Hall) SZ 1091 22/215

II

2. 1872-3, J D Sedding for Edmund Christy (founder of St Clement's). Much altered since 1950, but still impressive mansion of the earliest Arts and Crafts period, influenced by William Morris. Tudor Gothic, red brick and stone dressings, tiled roofs with ornamental ridges, 2 storeys and high basement, L-shaped. Long symmetrical south front to garden terrace, with central 3-storey gatehouse-type tower: stone polygonal corner buttresses, 4-centred door with coat-of-arms in sculptured panelling over, mullioned windows to upper floors. 2-storey canted bay on each side with mullioned and transomed windows and stone inscription giving date 1873, under deep stone-coped parapet. West flank asymmetrical: big rectangular bay at north-west, with 2 transoms and hipped roofs, supports canted dormer, with 2 transoms, plaster gable and sunflower metal finial. South-west gable altered, with tilehanging recessed behind parapet, intricate 3-light Tudor-arched window and projecting chimneybreast at 1st floor level (chimneystack gone). Entrance side L-shaped, with approach up steps to terrace alongside east wing - reconstructed with flat roof 1958. North wing of interesting composition has 4-centred doorway in surround of small Tudor-arched lights (similar lights to strip window under eaves); door itself with incised patterns and studs. Adjoining wall windowless, with inset stone sculptured panel of St Hubert's Dream in Gothic frame, battlemented gable at 1st floor level with large merlons of smooth stone, then recessed tilehung gable to 2nd floor with projecting canted bell-canopy on brackets, topped by sunflower finial on leaded base. Recessed northern wing with gabled stone dormer over lean-to single-storey annexe with brick chimneystack at end - much bare brickwork. (Flat-roofed modern extension). Forecourt has clipped yew hedge on 2 sides over low brick coped wall. Interior much altered, agent from linenfold-panelled doors and Jacobean-style balustered staircase. 2 fine rooms survive : at south-west corner, dining room with linenfold panellings, plaster foliage frieze and Elizabethan-style plaster ceiling, chimneypiece with blue daisy tiles in pink marble surround under white marble 4-centred arch with carved frieze between fluted wood pilasters and cornice, supporting overmantel of mirrors in 3 Jacobean-style arches under plaster tester with 3 rows of sunflowers. Reception room at north-west corner, of Great Hall type, has elaborate Elizabethan-style plaster ceiling with pendants, over foliage frieze, similar ceiling and frieze in windowless recess opposite square oriel. French Cl6 style of chimneypiece with Renaissance type round arch (blue tiles within) and hooded open grate, overmantel with flowers in vase motif in tiers, under frieze with pilasters.

Listing NGR: SZ1064391814

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 10643 91814

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108837 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2017 at 10:59:16.

End of official listing