CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MALMESBURY PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108885
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1976
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MALMESBURY PARK, BENNETT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MALMESBURY PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108885 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 10:50:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MALMESBURY PARK, BENNETT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 10047 92692

Details

768/23/226 BENNETT ROAD 27-FEB-76 (North side) CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MALMESBURY PARK

II

A church of 1891-1900 by Julius Alfred Chatwin & Sons of Birmingham, jointly with Bournemouth architect Sidney Tugwell. The chancel, nave and transepts were built between 1891-92 and the aisles, and an apsidal baptistry were added 1899-1900. The church is of rock-faced Purbeck stone with freestone dressings and red tiled roof. PLAN: High nave with lower passage aisles; low transepts; chancel; prominent baptistry with apse; west and east porches; vestry at north east end. EXTERIOR: It is in the Decorated style, buttressed with free Decorated and flamboyant window tracery, including a window of stepped triplet of trefoil-headed lancets to the chancel. Nave has clerestorey of 2-light tracery windows and high lancet windows at south end with single lancet windows to aisles. Prominent baptistry apse to south end with steeply pitched hipped tile roof. The porches have pointed arch with the drip mould terminating in carved rosettes, and pairs of timber doors with decorative iron hinges. Both transepts are of two bays with lancet windows. Vestry has mullioned and transomed windows of coloured glass. INTERIOR: The internal space is lined with polychromatic buff brick with dressings of ashlar and red brick. The chancel has a two-centred arch on foliage corbels and the north window lancets are recessed within a large blind arch with dogtooth ornament to the lancets. The nave has ashlar octagonal piers to arcades with stepped red brick arches and a clerestorey above. The baptistery arch has no capitals. There is a stone font with a carved bowl on a stem with shafts, and there are marble angel statues on corbels to each side of the font. The timber drum pulpit has two tiers of panelling and there are late C20 chairs in the nave. The crown post nave roof is carried on stone wall shafts. SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Although rather conservative in its design for this date, the Church of St. Andrew is a competent church of 1891-92 with additions of 1899-1900. The interior detailing, especially the use of polychromatic buff brick with contrasting dressings of ashlar and red brick, is well handled and there have been few if any alterations. SOURCES: The Buildings of England. Hampshire (1967) N. Pevsner, 121

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101708
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06564/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Carol Wiles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].