THE MARKET HOUSE (PREMISES OF A J HICKS)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110509

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1971

Statutory Address: THE MARKET HOUSE (PREMISES OF A J HICKS), MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MARKET HOUSE (PREMISES OF A J HICKS)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110509 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:16:55.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MARKET HOUSE (PREMISES OF A J HICKS), MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sturminster Newton

National Grid Reference: ST 78651 14101

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 7814 STURMINSTER NEWTON MARKET PLACE (EAST SIDE)

8/167 The Market House 13.9.71 (Premises of A J Hicks) G.V. II

Shop, C17 origin, largely rebuilt C18, altered C19. Stucco, rubble and brick (Flemish bond), tile roof with gable ends, brick stacks. 2 storeys and attic, irregular fenestration pattern. Several C19 shop fronts divided into eliptical headed lights by round columns with capitals. Variety of casement and sash windows mostly without glazing bars. Gable dormers with C19 sashes in roof. The east facade shows remnants of a C17 stone building to the left. This includes a blocked 3-light square headed stone mullioned window with straight chamfers. The rest of the wall is of C18 brickwork and shows traces of round headed arches possibly of aformer arcade. Fenestration is C19. Moulded bargeboards to gables. The building is on the site of the old market house and the C17 fragments may be a part of this. According to Hutchings, the market house burnt down in 1729 (p 344/5). He states the building (presumably that now standing) was formerly a rectory converted into a dwelling house by John Bird (p ]j58), J Hutchins "The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset; third edition 1868. Reprint E.P,biakefield, 1973. "RCHM, Dorset, Vol III", HMSO, 1970, p 279, no 19.

Listing NGR: ST7865214099

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 102455

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 279
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1868), 338

End of official listing