CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1110839

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110839 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 08:01:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Pimperne

National Grid Reference: ST 90370 09415

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PIMPERNE CHURCH ROAD ST 9009 (South side) 6/20 Church of St Peter 26.6.53 GV II*

Parish church, mid C15, remainder 1873-4 except for some reset C12 features. 1870s work by J B Green for Viscount Portman. Ashlar and snecked rubble with slate roofs having gable stone copings. Plan: nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, north and south vestries. Tower: 3 stage with C19 parapet, gargoyles and pinnacles; diagonal buttresses, that to the south containing a niche; 3-light pointed west window with Perpendicular tracery under label with carved stops; C19 octagonal south vice; second stage has 2-light, pointed window with Perpendicular tracery; 2-light pointed, Perpendicular tracery belfry windows. C19 parts of the church have highly idiosyncratic tracery under pointed or segmental-pointed heads. The east window is of 5-lights with Perpendicular tracery under a pointed head.

Internal features: reset C12 south doorway has round, chevron arch with an enriched tympanum shaped to form a segmental arch, the shafted responds have carved, scalloped capitals and moulded bases; reset C12 chancel arch in north wall of chancel with pointed, chevron-decorated head of 2 orders and shafted responds with carved capitals and moulded bases; 3-bay aisles with moulded segmental-pointed arches on piers of 4-clustered shafts; restored C15 tower arch of 3 orders, the innermost springing from C19 carved angel corbels; C19 arch braced collar truss roof with pendants and king-posts springing from carved angel corbels; tie-beam chancel roof springing from foliage carved corbels; C19 traceried stone pulpit; C12 font with round bowl with enriched scrollwork on cylindrical stem with moulded base with masks in spandrels; C19 tent shaped stone font cover with pierced spandrels; reset C17 brass monument to Dorothy Williams in vestry; various C19 monuments; C19 glass. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV, p.52/3, no.1. Newman. J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972. p.315/6.)

Listing NGR: ST9037009415

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103740

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1972), 52-53
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 315-316

End of official listing