FORGE COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110850

Date first listed: 30-May-1986

Statutory Address: FORGE COTTAGE, HACKMANS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORGE COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110850 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 11:07:40.

Location

Statutory Address: FORGE COTTAGE, HACKMANS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Purleigh

National Grid Reference: TL 81379 02744

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PURLEIGH HACKMAN'S LANE TL 80 SW (west side) 1/91 Forge Cottage ­ II House. Late C16, extended in C18, C19 and C20. Timber framed, mainly clad with C18 red brick in Flemish bond, partly plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing E, with external stack at right end, now enclosed by C18 one-bay extension beyond. C19 single-storey service extension beyond, with end stack. C20 lean-to extension to rear of right end. One storey with attics. Ground floor, 3 C18/early C19 casements with crown glass, and 3 C20 casements. First floor, 3 C20 casements in lean-to dormers. Plain boarded door in rear elevation. Half-hipped gambrel roof. The original building consisted of an open 'hall' of 2 bays, with bay posts but without a central tiebeam, with end chimney, and a parlour bay to the left, also unstoreyed, with a pitched roof. Diamond mortices of an unglazed hall window reported in the rear wall of the 'high end' bay, not now visible. Weathering of original roof on stack, approx. 0.60 metre below the ridge of the present gambrel roof. Jowled posts, wallplates with face-halved and bladed scarfs and rafter seatings of original roof. This frame is chamfered with step stops. The hall now has a central binding beam, tenoned and double-pegged at both end, inserted in the early C17, chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. At each end of it the bay posts have been cut back to form moulded steps below the beam, and chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. Plain joists of vertical section are jointed to the binding beam with soffit tenons with diminished haunches, supported at the right end of the hall on a jointed and pegged frame against the stack, a rare construction. The cambered tiebeam between the hall and parlour bay has been removed, and re-used at a lower level to support the inserted floors. The floor of the parlour bay, inserted in the early C17, consists of plain joists of vertical section, with a good series of chisel-cut assembly marks, with a framed stair-trap (now blocked) and rebated oak boards. An C18/C19 hearth in the left front corner has the chimney truncated at first-floor level. The main stack is in 2 parts, of different dates, originally of small bricks and serving the hall only (the hearth much altered in the C20), with a second hearth facing to the right, and chimney of larger bricks. The roof has been wholly rebuilt above wallplate level as a gambrel, with ridge, in the C18. The land is recorded as Sayers in a tax roll of 1568, owner Webb, taxed at 3d, and in a survey of Walton's manor of 1584, then a copyhold farm of 15 acres, owner Edward Webb. The physical evidence indicates construction probably between these dates. The son of Edward Webb, of the same name, is recorded in a rental of 1611. In 1822 Sayers (then of only one acre) was sold to the Congregational Church of Maldon. The Trustees' Book records that the dwelling house was altered to 2 tenements in 1826, and to 3 tenements in 1846. The property was sold in 1923 to Frank Brand, blacksmith, who combined the tenements into one house again, from whom the present name derives (Essex Record Office, D/DVo 14, D/DHn M7-9, D/CT 277).

Listing NGR: TL8137902744

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117419

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing