CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1111066

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WITHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 16:08:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WITHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Little Braxted

National Grid Reference: TL 83561 14714

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 81 SW LITTLE BRAXTED WITHAM ROAD

3/174 Church of St. Nicholas

30.12.59

GV I

Parish church. C12 with later and C19 alterations. Flint rubble and puddingstone, limestone dressings. Timber framed and plastered west gable apex. Weatherboarded bell turret with shingle roof. Red plain tiled roofs with ornate cross to east ridge. A small building 45 ft x 16 ft of C12 Nave and apsidal chancel. The Apse has 3 windows, the northern a small C12 single light with round head, eastern 2 light segmental pointed head, probably C19, southern a restored single light with 2 centred head. Nave south wall has a C12 restored single light window and a single light C20 window. West wall with angle buttresses and 2 restored C13 lancet windows. C19 cambered tie beam to gable with billet moulding, 3 curved bracing panels and central glazed roundel. North wall segmental headed 2 light window with tracery over. Vertical slit over. C19 north aisle, west window, reset C15 cinquefoil 2 light window with square head and label, 2 single light windows to north wall. Reset in east wall a restored C13 round headed window and restored C14 doorway with moulded label and head stops. Stone plaque adjacent to door dated 1851. Timber decoration to gable apex. Tile band. C19 gabled south porch with flint rubble plinth and timber supports. Carved tie beam "Watch and Pray". 2 centre arched doorway with flint flushwork over and tile inscribed: IHS and Crown. Vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. Interior. Apse roof C19 incorporating old timber. Scissor braced with ashlar posts and chamfered wall plates. One tiebeam. C15 Nave roof of 2 bays, collars to every rafter pair, side purlins over. 2 pairs of arched braces to side purlins. 3 collars with arched bracing, all roof timbers C19 painted. Bell turret with sunk chamfered storey posts and braces to tie beam. 5 pairs of scissor braced rafters with side struts. C19 Chancel arcade of 3 bays with sunk chamfered pillars and segmental pointed arches. Piscina, probably C14 with trefoiled head and C19 moulded and angled drain. C19 pulpit, crenellated, with traceried side panels, support columns with moulded bases and foliate capitals, C19 2 centred and trefoil head painted panels to reredos carry through to encompass stained glass east window with cusping, tracery and pinnacles over. C19 trefoiled altar rails the columns between with moulded capitals and bases. C19 choir stalls with pierced carving. Floor slab - Thomas Roberts 1680 with shield and arms. No Chancel Arch. A crenellated tie beam with enriched ogee arched braces supports the rood. Chancel screen has low central double gates to right and left of which are crenellated, traceried and crocketed candle holders, 4 cusped segmental arches with 7 shields between rope and vine carving. Brass William, Joyce and Margaret Roberts 1508. Nave. Chamfered base and central columns support the C19 painted octagonal font, with 8 black marble columns. Red and black C19 tiled floor throughout. The Church is remarkable for its wealth of C19 paintings which cover walls, roof timbers etc. The work of the Rev. E. Geldart 1881-1900 who resigned the living due to ill health and henceforth concentrated on architecture, in particular church furnishings, fittings and embroideries. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8356114714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118991

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing