This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARCHINGS FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARCHINGS FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1111227

Location

MARCHINGS FARMHOUSE, GRAVEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chigwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118552

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 49 NE CHIGWELL GRAVEL LANE 2/1 Marchings 28.6.54 Farmhouse

II House of C16 or C17 origin, much altered in C19. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Complex plan consisting essentially of main range aligned approx. NW-SE with axial chimney stack near NW end, aspect SW, service range to rear of SE end with one internal and one external chimney stack, crosswing at NW end, several rear extensions. 2 storeys with attics. SW elevation: ground floor, one C20 half-glazed door, french windows of Gothick style, C19, 3 Gothick casement windows, one not. First floor, 2 C19 casement windows, one C20 casement window, 3 dormers with C20 casements. Attic floor: one C19 casement window in gable of crosswing, leaded casement window, C20, and lean-to dormers with C19 casement windows. The interior is mainly C19, including many Gothick features. One blocked unglazed window with 2 diamond mullions is present on the first floor of the SE elevation, and a beam with lamb's tongues stops is exposed near the SW entrance. Stone column bases of a structure of unknown origin have been exposed approx. 4 metres N of the house. The occupation of the site has been traced in a report by Dr.F.G. Emmison of Essex Record Office dated 6 October 1949, beginning in 1427, and another by C. Johnson of Chigwell Public Libraries. The rear parts of the house incorporate the workshops of John Roger Arnold, 1736-1843, maker of chronometers and watches, who bought the house in 1800 (G.H. Baillie: Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World).

Listing NGR: TQ4637695423

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Baillie, G H , Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World

National Grid Reference: TQ 46376 95423

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111227 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 11:34:42.

End of official listing