This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TORRELLS HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TORRELLS HALL

List entry Number: 1111249

Location

TORRELLS HALL, SHELLOW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Willingale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118501

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 60 NW WILLINGALE SHELLOW ROAD, (North side), 6/31 Torrells Hall 27.8.57 GV II*

House, late C16th, C18 and c.1800. A very complex building with numerous alterations and extensions. Part red brick, part gault brick with roofs of peg tile and slate. The southern, front block is an addition of c.1800 by John Johnson, County Surveyor (1732-1814) in gault brick with a parapetted, low pitched slate roof with red ridge tiles. Of two storeys with stone cornice/parapet and stone band at first floor cill level. The first floor has three tripartite sash windows with segmental heads and square panes, the centre window having dummy side lights. The ground floor has 2 similar windows and a central, projecting, fluted doric porch and original 6 panel door and semi- circular fanlight. This block was added to the earlier house to the rear which is substantially of red brickwork and mostly English bond with a variety of peg tile roofs. To the north-east corner is a two storey block with attics, with parapetted gable, facing north with moulded brick corbelled shoulders and a truncated gable finial. The eaves have 3 courses of diagonal brick cornicing and a massive stack with rounded off-setts abuts its east flank. The north facing windows are later, double hung sash windows and casements partly within earlier openings. A two storey block to the S of this has mid C18 diapered red and grey refacing on its east side with a simple entrance door and a variety of contemporary double hung sashes with small panes. Two single storey gabled blocks project out from this face enclosing a small court. To the north of the main block is a late C17 lean-to extension, now with a slate roof and a further peg tile and brick lean-to completes the north-west corner. This has a gabled two light dormer and 3 segmental arched hooded opening, one blocked, one with a three light casement and one with a repositioned door surround. This is of the late C16 with moulded cornice and Ionic pilasters with strapwork and latticed rustication. The interior of the front block shows barrel coved entrance passage, reeded architraves and cornices, atypical staircase with straight rod balusters and a pair of 'palmyra' columns defining a dining room recess. Leaded light window in west flank wall has fragments of old heraldic glass. The C16 block contains a remarkable complete open well staircase, with square newells with ogee finials, arcaded inner balustrading and turned, symmetrical balusters. Adjoining the base of this the remains of a tall 'screen' with giant fluted pilasters on pedestals and an abundance of fret and strapwork detail. Evidence for heavily framed structure and roof with double side purlins with wind bracing. Most original fireplace openings now blocked but a small arch headed and chamfered fireplace remains in a small first floor room. A number of C16/C17 plank doors survive and some areas of C17 panelling. (RCHM 11).

Listing NGR: TL6007808275

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

National Grid Reference: TL 60078 08275

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111249 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 09:55:46.

End of official listing