This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1111326



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fyfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118376

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 50 NE FYFIELD WILLINGALE ROAD 5/70 (North side) Fyfield Hall 27.8.57


House. Mid C13 or earlier aisled hall of high quality with C15, C16 and C19 alterations. Timber framed and plastered with red plain tile roof. 2 storeys. 3 window range, late C19 vertical sliding sashes. Late C16 red brick chimney with grouped diagonal shafts. A complex plan. The original aisled hall is possibly of circa 1140, partly re-roofed in 1299. The roof is collared and has trenched straight racking braces, the central couple being paired with secondary rafters passing through tie beam flanks. Earlier arcade posts are octagonal with moulded bases and capitals. Arch braces to arcade plates, and cambered aisle ties. Normal assembly at eaves. To the north is a 4 bay parallel range of circa 1400, with long wall jetty, carved bressumer and original door and doorway. Crown post roof with cambered tie beams and spandrel bracing. South east wing is of Medieval origin. North west wing is late C16 or early C17, and there is a late C18 north wing. Besides the principal structure, there are numerous details surviving from each period represented including a C16 staircase. (RCHM 8: CAH. 1980).

Listing NGR: TL5724806873

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

National Grid Reference: TL 57248 06873


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111326 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:46:30.

End of official listing