This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CANN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CANN HALL

List entry Number: 1111549

Location

CANN HALL, CONSTABLE AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 119863

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



TM11NE CLACTON-ON-SEA CONSTABLE AVENUE

1665/7/3 Cann Hall 4.7.86

GV II*

House. Circa 1512, built for St Osyth's Priory, with some C18 alterations; refenestrated in C20. Timber framed and plastered with close-studding mainly concealed and with brick nogging infill to south front. Red plain tiled roof, hipped with gablets. Off centre left red brick chimney stack. Comprises two bay hall aligned east-west with in line service end to the est and upper end cross-wing to the west which projects to the north. The hall and parlour were heated by an original stack. Continuous jetty on the south front. To the north are the fragmentary remains of a further timber framed building, probably detached kitchen, now attached to main house. Two storeys. Five windows to main front first floor with C20 two and three-light casements and three C20 oriels to ground floor. Vertically boarded door in original segmental head to right. Interior has exposed frame of high quality including open fireplaces, elaborate hall ceiling with transverse beam with highly ornate oak-leaf stops. Two axial beams with elaborate moulding and crown post roof with traces of reddish ochre colour remaining. After the suppression of St Osyth's Priory in 1539, Cann Hall passed to Thomas Cromwell, later to Princess Mary and to Lord Darcy in 1553. Dendrochronological analysis of 36 timbers from the hall and service range, the crosswing and the kitchen range produced a tree-ring chronology for the period AD 1301-1511. The latest timbers were felled in the winter/spring of AD 1511/12. RCHM 4. SOURCES: RCHM interim report on Cann Hall, October 1997. AM Laboratory report 00/98 "Tree-ring analysis of Cann Hall, Clacton, Essex" 1998 5873(Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England) An Inventory of Essex North East, 1922 Vol. 3.)



Listing NGR: TM1664416767

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)

National Grid Reference: TM 16644 16767

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 01:41:55.

End of official listing