This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1111653



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Thurrock

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Feb-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 119629

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 5221 CHURCH HILL Stanford-le-Hope Church of St Margaret of Antioch TQ 68 SE 6/32 8.2.60


2. Mainly C14, but with extensive C12 and C13 remains, and later alterations. Ragstone rubble with some flint and limestone dressings. Tiled roofs. Nave circa 1180, and C12 window remains in north wall with head. North arcade is C13 of 4 bays, 2 centred arches, on 2 round and one octagonal column with moulded bases and capitals. Responds have attached half columns. One bay of south arcade remains at east end, the remainder being C14. C14 clerestorey with 3 windows on north and 5 on south, all quatrefoil. Chancel is C14, with modern east window. C14 and C15 windows in north wall, south wall has early C14 arch, 2 centred, with grouped attached shafts, moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch is C14, 2 centred, of 2 hollow chamfered jambs. South chapel, has C15 windows and a C14 west archway. C14 north aisle has two C14 windows with trefoiled ogee lights and C14 north doorway with moulded jambs, and 2 centred arch. South aisle is also C14, but with C15 windows and C14 south door, with moulded jambs, 2 centred arch and label. North Tower is C19. South porch is C16. South aisle has some C14 roofing, with moulded principals, purlin and bosses carved with geometric design. South porch has moulded tie beams, with braces and moulded wall plates. Monument of 1711 to Sir Heneage Fetherstone, with cherubs and bones. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TQ6843882264

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

National Grid Reference: TQ 68438 82264


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111653 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 12:27:45.

End of official listing