CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111748.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:27:29.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Dover (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TR 28160 53353
TR 25 SE
3/64 Church of St
Parish Church, originally a chapel to Knowlton Court. C14/C15 origin, largely
restored 1855 by William White. Flint with plain tiled roof.Chancel and nave
only. The fenestration is largely C19 in Geometric and Perpendicular styles,
the west window the most unrestored (C15). Offset buttresses to nave and
chancel corners also survive pre-C19. Kneelered gables, bell cote and cross
finials all C19 with lozenge set clock face on west wall. Interior: west
end of nave stepped in and recessed from main body. Chancel stepped in with
chamfered arch on corbels . Plastered barrel roof with slender detached
ribs only touching ceiling at ridge line. Fittings: ogee headed piscina
and 2 C19 ogee headed niches on east wall. Turned baluster altar rail (possibly
given with new altar in 1716). Pulpit: C17 style, but probably early C20,
octagonal with arcaded panels and strapwork frieze, with ramped rail. Two
lower reading desks mid C19. Box pews, font and fittings, especially iron
corona lucis all mid C19. Wooden relief carved and painted arms of Charles II,
over the north door. Hatchment in chancel with 2 military banners. Stained
glass of 1850s and 1860s throughout the church. Monuments: in the nave,
Elizabeth Peyton, d. 1642. White and black wall plaque, with bowled oval
centre with palm fronds on swagged and scrolled base, with broken segmental
pediment over; two C18 or late C17 white oval cartouche wall plaques in
memory of Thomas Peyton, d. 1510, and John Peyton, d. 1560. In the chancel:
Samuel Peyton, d. 1623. Black and white wall tablet on bolection moulded
base with draped apron and Death's Head, with scrolled and lugged side pieces
with small festoons, and broken segmental pediment with Arms over. Thomas
Peyton, d.1610. Black and white and gilt wall tablet, with raised central
section to head, bracketed and festooned with scrolled sides and with bracket;
ears and 3 achievements Over. Both monuments erected by Thomas Peyton jnr.
Sir John Narborough and James Narborough, both d. 1707, in shipwreck off
the Scillies with Sir Cloudesley Shovel. His monument in Westminster Abbey
was, like this one, raised by Dame Elizabeth Shovel, the mother by previous
marriage of the 2 Narborough brothers, and wife of Sir Cloudesley. The
monument at Westminster certainly, this one probably, by Grinling Gibbons.
Standing monument in grey veined marble, with a tomb chest with whole panel
front of naval relief, a ship of the line being wrecked on rocks. On the
chest stand 2 large weeping putti and a plinth with the inscription, and
bearing 2 gadrooned urns. Opposite a similar monument of chest tomb to
Sir John Narborough, died 1688, with segmental headed and scrolled plinth
over to Lady Elizabeth D'Aeth, d. 1721, daughter of Sir John Narborough.
On the plinth is a lifesize relief medallion portrait of Lady Elizabeth,
no beauty. Erected by Sir Thomas D'Aeth, who is commemorated on the plaque
he raised before his own death in 1744 to Thomas D'Aeth, d. 1708 exhumed
from North Cray, and Elhannah D'Aeth, 1717, placed over the monument to
Lady Elizabeth D'Aeth. Black and white tablet on apron with brackets, fluted
pilasters and triglyph frieze and cornice with 2 oil lamp finials and central
Achievement. Sir Narborough D'Aeth, d. 1808. White wall plaque on fluted
base, with half-relief carving of draped canister-shaped urn supported by
an open book and Pelican in Piety, and with a weeping willow behind and above.
(See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, p. 368; see also Country Life, 39).
Listing NGR: TR2799453444
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 39, ()
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing