TONGSWOOD, NOW ST ROMAN'S SCHOOL, WITH GARDEN TERRACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111749

Date first listed: 22-Jun-1989

Statutory Address: TONGSWOOD, NOW ST ROMAN'S SCHOOL, WITH GARDEN TERRACE, WATER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TONGSWOOD, NOW ST ROMAN'S SCHOOL, WITH GARDEN TERRACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111749 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 05:04:39.

Location

Statutory Address: TONGSWOOD, NOW ST ROMAN'S SCHOOL, WITH GARDEN TERRACE, WATER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Hawkhurst

National Grid Reference: TQ 77801 30807

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAWKHURST WATER LANE TQ 7630-7730 (east side) 17/451 Tongswood, now St Roman's School, with garden terrace GV II House. Mid-late C19, extended 1904-6. Red brick with some diapering in blue brick, with ashlar details and ornamental tiled roof. Jacobethan style. Main range of 2 storeys and attic on plinth with string course and moulded brick dog- tooth cornice to roof with 3 projecting gables, those to centre and to right shaped with finials, and with 2 gabled dormers to centre stacks ranged left to right, and large central clock tower, with tiled spire, and 2 tier wooden top- piece with cornices, leaded spire roof and ogee cupola with weather-vane. Three- storey bay to left and 2-storey bay to right, both with enriched parapets. Eight-window bay front, with sashed stone mullioned windows, mullioned and transomed on ground floor. Central panelled doors in C16 style Classical porch in projecting ground floor with banded attached columns, pediment with achievement, and keyed arch. Ballroom extension to right, with the details of the main range carried over, with semi-dormer to left, and central shaped gable, with canted bay on ground floor, with pierced balustrade and full-height mullioned and transomed window. Identical bay window to right return, with 2 shaped gables and central segmentally-headed gable with arms cartouche. Garden elevation with shaped pilastered gables, semi-dormer and 2 central dormers, bow windows on ground floor, Ionic columned canted bay to ballroom with half-glazed doors and fanlights. Two storey service wing to left of main front, with built-out ground floor; with moulded stacks, 4-bay front with gabled wing to left. Garden terraces to right return and to rear, with red brick walls, with regular buttress piers, with stone capping, reached by stone steps to right of main front, with pierced stone balustrade. Interior: the earlier main range richly panelled, with 4-centred arched doorways, especially to entrance hall, with openwell stair with landing, with ramped handrail on iron-twist balusters. Sugar-barley twist balusters to rear stair. Dining room with wainscotting, columned overmantel (present library). Plaster ceilings throughout. Ballroom and adjacent en-suite bedrooms finished in rich late C17 Classical style; the ballroom with pilaster and free- standing columned corners, and supporting cross-beamed ceiling with central roundel, with stepped main entry to house, the whole enriched (fluted columns, scaled pulvinated frieze, enriched beams). The ceiling painted after the Italian manner, as are those in the en-suite bedrooms and bathroom, and bar-room, also with enriched door surrounds, marble fireplaces, cornices etc. The main house built for William Cotterill before 1874; the ballroom added for William Gunther 1904-6 and built by J T Davis, builders of Hwkhurst. Gunther made his fortune from Argentinian beef products and drinks, and from 1902 to 1931 lived here, a general benefactor to the parish. Anciently the seat of the Dunks, the last of whom, Sir Thomas, founded the almshouses bearing his name in Highgate, Hawkhurst. Subsequently the property of Jeremiah Curteis of Rye, one of the leaders in mid C18 of the Hawkhurst Gang, probably the most notorious smuggling gang of the time.

Listing NGR: TQ7780130807

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 169802

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing