BARN ABOUT 60 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111810

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1992

Statutory Address: BARN ABOUT 60 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN ABOUT 60 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111810 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 18:27:03.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN ABOUT 60 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: King's Pyon

National Grid Reference: SO4393150649

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:-

KINGS PYON

SO 45 SW 1428/1/10001 Barn about 60 metres E.N.E. of Church of St Mary

II

Barn. Probably early C13. Timber-framed on stone rubble plinth, clad in weatherboarding and with a corrugated iron roof with rounded gable ends. PLAN: Surviving N.W. end bay of an aisled barn including both aisles. The rest of the barn to the south east has been demolished and replaced with an open-fronted cattle-shelter at right angles to the original barn. EXTERIOR: North west elevation is the original gable end, the gable reduces to a curved profile roof, and clad in weatherboarding. Similar south east gable but with posts, tie- beam and braces exposed above later lean-to open-fronted cattle shelter below. INTERIOR: Surviving frame includes:- 4 jowled arcade and 4 aisle posts (NW aisle post a replacement) with their braces and trenches for halved passing braces (two passing braces remain), aisle and arcade plates, two large tie-beams, some studding, rails and a storey-post in the NW end wall. The sole-plates have been largely replaced. Part of the north east aisle wall of the next bay also survives as the side wall of the later cattle shelter. The roof above the tie-beams has been replaced. NOTE: The land was held by the Convent of St Mary's of Cormeilles at the Domesday Survey and from 1301 to 1336 it was held by Sir Gerald de Eillesford and then passed to the Convent of Wormsley. This is a rare example and possibly unique for Herefordshire of an early medieval aisled barn.

Listing NGR: SO4393150649

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355167

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing