CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST WILFRED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1111897
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1957
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Sep-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST WILFRED, A69

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST WILFRED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111897 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 21:35:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST WILFRED, A69

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Wetheral
National Grid Reference:
NY 47521 56817

Details

WETHERAL A69, WARWICK BRIDGE NY 45 NE (South Side)

6/172 Church of St Mary and St Wilfred 1. 4.57. (Formerly listed as Church of St Mary).

II*

Roman Catholic Church. 1841 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for Henry Howard of Corby Castle. Red sandstone snecked ashlar walls, slate roof with coped gables. Nave of 4 bays, single bay chancel, gabled south porch, added sacristy to south wall of chancel. Nave has buttressed walls and angles, with alternating large and small lancets, larger windows of Y-shaped tracery and cusped heads. West entrance and porch have pointed entrance arches with moulded surrounds and hood moulds ending in mitred heads. West gable has 3 lancets with trefoil heads and hood moulds, surmounted by hexagonal bellcote. Interior has open timber roof, all painted and decorated with gold. Stone font beside south entrance, cut-stone pulpit on south wall of nave, beside chancel arch, has entrance from sacristy and decorated with figurative painted panels. Corresponding niche on north wall has figure of the Virgin. Text painted around dado panels, with decorative motifs painted on splays of the smaller lancets. Stained glass of 1860, 65 and 67, by Harrington of London, presented by Philip Howard. Chancel has screen of carved and painted wood with central crucifix, flanked by Virgin Mary and St Wilfred. Decorative painted ribbed plank ceiling and painted walls. Stepped altar, heavily gilded with metal work to Pugin's designs, flanked by 2 small coronas by Pugin. Sedilia and piscina in south wall; Easter-Sepulchre-like recess to north wall with tomb of Henry Howard (q.v.), died 1842. Retains all of original decorations much to Pugin's designs. See, Pheobe Stanton, Pugin, p.94-97.

Listing NGR: NY4752156817

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
77754
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stanton, P, Pugin, (1971), 94-97

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/08807/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John B. Edwards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].