KINGSHEAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1112114

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: KINGSHEAD, LANDERMERE QUAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of KINGSHEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112114 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 00:10:45.

Location

Statutory Address: KINGSHEAD, LANDERMERE QUAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

National Grid Reference: TM 19881 23864

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THORPE-LE-SOKEN LANDERMERE QUAY TM 12 SE (north side) 5/99 Kingshead GV II Public house, now a house. Early C19. Partly timber framed and weatherboarded, partly of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Complex plan comprising (1) C18 timber framed house facing SW, with central stack, of one storey with attics, (2) early C19 brick wing to rear of left end, with straight joint indicating that it was extended before mid-C19, with external stack to right, having a cellar, high main floor and attics, (3) in rear right angle, C19 2-storey range having a brick ground floor, and timber framed and weatherboarded first floor, parallel with block (1), with axial stack, (4) C20 conservatory and lean-to extension to right. SW elevation, 2 C20 casements on the ground floor, one fixed light at half-floor level, and 2 C20 casements in gabled dormers. 2 plain boarded doors. NW elevation, 3 apertures to cellar, one early C19 sash of 12 + 12 lights, one of 6 + 6 lights and one C20 sash on main floor, and 2 flat-roofed dormers, one having a C19 horizontal sash of 8 lights, the other a C20 casement. Plain boarded door at top of 4 cement-rendered steps. Gambrel roof. 3 small brick buttresses. On the SW elevation is an original square wooden downpipe, the wooden guttering missing. Block (2) has an original stair to the attic, with turned newel, stick balusters and moulded handrail. Described in the tithe award of 1840 as the King's Head Inn, with lime shed, lime kiln and coalyard, owned by the Hope Insurance Company, occupied by Jacob Manning (Essex Record Office, D/CT 352). First recorded in poor rate assessment of 1811. A photograph taken c.1920 appears in E.A. Wood, A History of Thorpe-le-Soken to the year 1890, 1975, 104).

Listing NGR: TM1988123864

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120328

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wood, E A , A History of Thorpe le Soken to the Year 1890, (1975), 104

End of official listing