CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112122

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 07:54:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Tendring

National Grid Reference: TM 14337 24152

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TENDRING THE STREET TM 12 SW 4/132 Church of St. Edmund 17.11.66 - II*

Parish Church. C13 Nave and Chancel, C14 North Porch. C19 West Tower and east wall rebuilt. C19 South Chapel and aisle, C19 and C20 restorations. Plastered stone and flint rubble walls, stone and flint flushwork facing to west tower, south chapel and aisle. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel, east wall 3 graduated lancets, continuous label over with head stops, plinth, parapet verges, angle buttresses. North wall, 2 C13 chamfered lancets, partly restored, 2 buttresses. South Chapel and aisle, east and west walls have each a window of 2 cinquefoiled ogees, label with headstops, angle buttresses. South wall, the 4 western bays have each a window of 2 cinquefoiled ogees, segmental heads and labels. 2 eastern windows of 2 chamfered trefoiled lights, 2 centred heads and labels, buttresses between each window. Nave, north wall, 2 windows, the circa 1300 eastern of 2 trefoiled lights with a trefoil in a 2 centred head, the western mainly restored of 3 trefoiled lights, trefoil over, 2 centred head. Angle buttresses and 3 other buttresses. C14 gabled north porch, timber framed, 2 centre arched doorway flanked by open lights with trefoiled ogee heads and tracery, side walls each have 6 trefoiled ogee lights with cusped spandrels, restored mullions. Foiled bargeboards to gables, moulded wall plates, collars to each rafter pair, cambered tie beam, side seats. North doorway, C19 chamfered 4 centred head, double vertically boarded doors, ornate hinges, C14 rear splays. West tower of 3 stages, stone bands between, angle buttresses, panelled flint flushwork cornice, crenellated with pinnacles, crocketted spire of 5 stages, weathervane. Stair turret to north west angle. Gargoyles to cornice. North, west and south bell chamber windows of 2 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil, 2 centred heads, second stage north, south and west faces have single trefoiled lights, west face, first stage window of 2 trefoiled lights, roundels over, 2 centred head. The stair turret upper stage with quatrefoils in flint flushwork panels, lower cross light and quatrefoil. Interior. Chancel. Boarded barrel vaulted roof. Piscina, restored C13, chamfered jambs, 2 centred head, no drain. south wall monument of Edmund Saunder, 1615, alabaster figure of a kneeling man in civil dress within a round headed recess with flanking pilasters, cornice and shield, brass under. C19 painted prayer and commandments to reredos, C19 wooden altar rail, C19 and C20 stained glass windows. C19 south archway, 2 centred of 2 chamfered orders, moulded capitals and bases to columns. C19 2 centred Chancel arch, moulded capitals and bases to shafts. Nave. C16 roof of 6 bays, moulded wall plates, arched braces to raised tie beams which support queen posts and arched braces to collars, struts to apex, arched braces to side purlins. C14 moulded timber north and south door surrounds with tracery to gables, moulded wall posts, arched braces spring from these gables and support a heavy tie beam which appears to have had the centre removed to form hammerbeams. Illustration of door surrounds C.A. Hewitt Church Carpentry 1974. The removal of the centre of the tie beam gives a view from the Chancel to the C19 Tower arch and it is now tied with a metal bar, this truss supported the former bell turret. South arcade of 3 bays, chamfered 2 centred arches, octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. C16 octagonal font, panelled sides with shield, foliage and pomegranate decoration, carved soffit, cinquefoiled panels to stem, moulded base. C19 moulded 2 centred Tower arch. Coloured tile and brick floors. C19 south aisle lean-to roof with moulded principles, arched braces and trefoiled spandrels. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TM1433724152

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120242

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)
Hewett, C A, Church Carpentry, (1974)

End of official listing