THE HILL GARDEN CRUCIFORM PERGOLA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1113202

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Statutory Address: THE HILL GARDEN CRUCIFORM PERGOLA, NORTH END WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HILL GARDEN CRUCIFORM PERGOLA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 12:43:33.

Location

Statutory Address: THE HILL GARDEN CRUCIFORM PERGOLA, NORTH END WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26096 86701

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2686NW NORTH END WAY 798-1/8/1225 The Hill Garden cruciform pergola 14/12/78 (Formerly Listed as: NORTH END WAY Cruciform pergola in Hill Garden at Inverforth House)

GV II*

4 colonnaded pergolas, aligned westwards on Inverforth House (qv), and forming a cross plan on the central axis. Western arm leads to the Bridge (qv), short eastern stub to the Formal Pond (qv) and southern arm links to Southern Pergola (qv). c1906-10. By Thomas H Mawson as part of a garden scheme for Lord Leverhulme at The Hill (now Inverforth House). This part of the garden is now in separate ownership to the house; for the house garden features see under Inverforth House, North End Way entries. Paired and single Doric columns of Portland stone carrying a timber pergola superstructure imitating a Doric entablature. Brick pavement with stone balustrading. North and south arms raised on western side over brick terrace retaining walls forming continuous outbuildings with 3-light square headed windows having concrete lintels. Western arm similarly raised to cover low ground to bridge; this arm terminated in a conservatory before Mawsons 1912 extensions. HISTORICAL NOTE: the terraces were constructed using spoil from the Hampstead Tube excavation. Excellent views. The garden was divided when the house became a hospital; this part of the garden is open to the public.





Listing NGR: TQ2609686701

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477627

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing