CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1113919
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE GROVE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113919.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 12:54:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE GROVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Houghton Conquest
National Grid Reference:
TL 04357 41425

Details

HOUGHTON CONQUEST

TL 0441 THE GROVE

11/51 Church of All Saints

23.1.61 I

Parish Church. Earlier and late C14, C15 with some 1870 work, particularly to chancel, by Sir G.G.Scott. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings, mostly of Totternhoe stone. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, N vestry, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. Embattled parapets throughout. Chancel: late C14, reworked 1870. Large C19 5-light E-window with 4-centred head. N and S elevations each have 2 similar windows of 3-lights. Pointed-arched S doorway under square head. S elevation has external canopied tomb to Thomas Awdley, d.1531. N doorway gives onto N vestry, originally 2-storeyed, with flat- headed windows to E. C14 chancel arch. Nave: earlier C14, heightened C15 by addition of clerestory. 4-bay arcades to both sides. 4 clerestory windows per side, each of 3-lights under 4-centred head. N aisle: C14, heightened C15. Pointed-arched 3-light windows, mostly with C19 tracery, 3 to N elevation, one each to W and E. Pointed-arched N doorway. S aisle: C14, heightened C15. Similar fenestration to N aisle but no E window. Pointed- arched S doorway. S porch: reworked C19. 3-light 4-centred arched windows to W and E. Pointed archway. W tower: 1393. 3 stages, with angle buttresses to W, those to SW clasping an octagonal stair turret. Bell-stage has 2-light pointed-arched window to each side. W elevation ground stage has pointed-arched doorway surmounted by 3-light pointed-arched window. Interior: nave and aisles retain C15 moulded roofs, with remains of painting to E end of nave and S aisle, and lead stars (originally gilded) to E end of nave. Chancel has hammerbeam roof by Scott. Nave and aisle pewing retains some C15 panelling. C15 chancel pewing has unusual poppyheads, with angels, dragons, grotesques and dogs. Fragments of medieval glass reset in various windows, those in chancel including black bulls' heads and dolphins, those in aisles showing variety of heraldic shields. Late C14 octagonal font, one side plain (originally set against pillar), others with carved crocketed canopies. Nave and aisles retain some patches of C15 wall paintings, including St Christopher above N aisle door, and above chancel arch Christ sitting in judgement with emblems of crucifixion. Also later texts in black and white. Chancel has tomb chest with brasses to John Conquest, his wife Isabel (d.1493) and son Richard, and smaller brasses of 9 sons, 5 daughters and the evangelist symbols. Smaller brass in chancel floor to Richard Conquest, d.1500, and his wife Elizabeth. To N chancel wall is monument to Thomas Archer, Rector, d.1629, in form of polychrome preaching figure in niche.

Listing NGR: TL0435741425

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38038
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06153/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Clive Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].