CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1114036
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114036.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 12:48:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hulcote and Salford
National Grid Reference:
SP 94434 38833

Details

HULCOTE AND SALFORD HULCOTE SP 93 NW SP 9438 5/18 Church of St Nicholas 23.1.61 I Parish Church. Circa 1590, built by Richard Chernock, then in possession of Hulcote Manor. Some late C19 restoration. Coursed rubble, mixture of limestone, ironstone and cobbles. Ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, nave, S porch, tower. All windows are square-headed and have diamond leading. Chancel: 3-light mullion and transom E window, each lignt with slightly rounded pointed-arched head. E wall external stonework repaired with brick, with C19 wall tablet inserted. N and S walls each have 2-light mullion and transom window. N elevation has later red brick buttresses. S elevation has small doorway with rounded archway under square head. Door is decorated with scrolled ironwork. Nave: N and S elevations eacn have one 3-light and one 2-light mullion and transom window. N elevation has blocked 4-centred arched doorway cut by western window. S porch: apparently rebuilt, partially blocks western nave window. Gabled 4-centred arched doorway. Door has decorative studding in chevron and diamond patterning, and with initials R.C. Single lights to side elevations. W tower: 3 stages, with diagonal buttresses to W angles. N elevation has semi-circular stair turret projecting from wall. Ground stage has 2-light mullion and transom window to W. Bell-stage has 2-light mullioned window to each side. E one blocked by nave roof, others with wood louvres. Plain parapet with crocketed pinnacles to angles. Interior: Pointed tower arch. Segmental-arched plaster ceiling. Nave has some reset C16 panelling with a variety of motifs, including linenfold, a moor's head and the initials W.A. Chanel choir stalls constructed from re-used Jacobean panelling. C17 communion rails with twisted balusters. Chancel E wall has brass to Richard Chernock, 1616. Chancel N wall has polychrome 3-tier wall monument to same Richard Chernock, with kneeling figures of Chernock, his 2 wives and numerous children. Chancel has several other C18 and C19 wall monuments. Nave floor has brass to Mary Nicholls, 1619.



Listing NGR: SP9443438833

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38315
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10224/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].