This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GROUP OF 160 HEADSTONES TO NORTH EAST, EAST AND SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GROUP OF 160 HEADSTONES TO NORTH EAST, EAST AND SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1114070

Location

GROUP OF 160 HEADSTONES TO NORTH EAST, EAST AND SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, HATLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Potton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38403

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

POTTON HATLEY ROAD TL 2249 12/29 Group of 160 headstones to NE, E and SE of Church of St Mary GV II Group of headstones in the area NE, E and SE of parish church, To N the area extends eastwards from N porch, and northwards for approximately 10 metres. It extends E from chancel for approximately 10 metres. To S its W boundary is in line with chancel S door, and it extends southwards for about 8 metres. Within this area most of the headstones date from the later C17 to the early C19. They are notable for high relief carving on many of the stones and for unusual decorative motifs, both features uncommon to the county limestone. All face W unless otherwise indicated. Groups or items of particular interest are as follows:

(A) Row of 4 stones facing E. 2 southern ones illegible; Ann, wife of Charles Baxter, d.1748, putto head with scrolls and flowers; Charles Baxter, d.1718(?), heart and cross-bones (?) within strapwork cartouche.

(B) Row of 5 stones; Nickolas Phips, Jnr, d.1713, inscription framed by draperies forming a canopy, canopy surmounted by flaming urn with flanking reclining putti; Nickolas Phips, d.1719, inscription framed by draperies forming a canopy, surmounted by flaming urn and reclining putti; Joan, wife of Nickolas Phipp, d.MDCCXXIX, festoon and swags surmounted by winged putto heads.

(C) Single headstone. Later C18. Inscription illegible, framed by swags. Angel in profile, blowing trumpet and holding palm branch, surrounded by clouds and putto heads. (D) Single headstone. Eliz. Cremer,d.1703. Deeply carved scrollwork to sides. Bat-winged skull to top, flanked by cross-bones and crossed coffin and spade.

(E) Single headstone. Edmund Halfhyde of Cambridge. Apothecary d.1719. Domed corona from which hang draperies forming a canopy. Winged putto heads, RH one damaged.

(F) Row of headstones immediately E of chancel. Mainly late C17 and early C18. Many to members of Atkinson family. Characterised by deeply carved scrollwork framing and skulls to top (some in profile), with such additional motifs as cross-bones, crossed coffins, spades and hourglasses and canopies formed by swags. At RH end are several late C18 and early C19 stones of 2 types: inscribed medallion in front of squat obelisk, flanked by palm fronds; swags forming canopy, surmounted by angel blowing trumpet and holding palm branch, with clouds and putti to background.

(G) 2nd row of headstones E of chancel. mainly late C17 to mid C18. Many to Reade and Phips families. Earlier ones in high relief. Variety of styles and motifs, eg earlier ones with skulls, cross-bones, putto heads, swags etc., later ones with winged putto heads flanked by hourglasses and open books.

(H) 3rd row of headstones E of chancel. Mainly early C18 to early C19. Many to Rugeley and Merrall families. To RH end 2 early ones, William Chambers d.1695 and Ann Chambers d.1701, so deeply carved that top parts almost sculpted in the round, former with skull, latter with winged putto head, skulls and swags. Several early-mid C18 stones depict weeping reclining putti, holding torches and partially wrapped in draperies of canopy above them. Late C18 - early C19 stones taller than average. All have circular inscribed medallion suspended in front of squat obelisk, flanked by flaming urns and palm fronds.

(I) 4th row E of chancel. Consists of mid C18 to early C19 headstones of 2 types. Earlier ones show weeping reclining putti holding torches and partially wrapped in draperies of canopy above them. Later ones have circular inscribed medallion suspended in front of squat obelisk, flanked by flaming urns and palm fronds.

(J) Row of 3 headstones. Richard Livett 1761(?), Rowland Livett, d.1831, and Susan Livett d.1821. All have swagged draperies forming canopies.

(K) Row of 3 headstones. John Ward, Brazier d.1711(?), Elizabeth Warde, d.1712(?), and Thomas Warde, d.1729(?). All have large lettering, with scrollwork and foliate surrounds.

(L) Row of 3 headstones. Ann Kitchin, d.1795(?). John Kitchin, d.1790, Gilbert Kitchin d.1786(?). All have winged putto heads and foliage.



TL 2249 POTTON HATLEY ROAD

12/30 St Mary's House (formerly listed as 3.10.83 former Vicarage)

GV II

House, formerly a vicarage. C18, extended and reworked C19. Original structure red brick, some flared, with lighter red brick dressings, and clay tile roofs. Later addition in red and yellow brick, partly rendered, with slate roof. Original block is 2 storeyed, with hipped roof. Later additions to E form plan 2 rooms deep. W elevation: 5 window facade, first floor and 2 LH ground floor ones sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor has projecting rectangular bay with 2 sashes with glazing bars. Attic has 2 box dormers containing sashes with glazing bars. Central 6-panel door surmounted by semi- circular fanlight. Simple round-arched surround with projecting keyblock C20 brick open porch. C19 chimney stack to rear, at junction with C19 block.

Listing NGR: TL2289149438

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 22891 49438

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:44:54.

End of official listing