This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MANOR FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1114166

Location

MANOR FARMHOUSE, HIGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bedford

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Eastcotts

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 36694

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 04NE EASTCOTTS HIGH ROAD, COTTON END

3/48 Manor Farmhouse

GV II*

House. Late C16. Red brick with stone dressings. Old clay tile roof. Originally H-plan, S cross-wing since destroyed. 2 storeys and attics. Stone banding at first floor level and at eaves level of cross-wing. Coved cornice to main block. Cross-wing: 2 2-light mullion and transom windows to ground and first floor, 2-light mullioned window to attic, and stone coping and finial. Main block: gabled central porch, with stone coping and finial. 2 3-light mullion and transom windows to ground and first floors. Similar fenestration to rear. Substantial external chimney stacks to N and rear elevations, that to N with 4 octagonal shafts, that to rear with 3 octagonal shafts, all shafts with upper part replaced by octagonal pots. Single storey outhouse addition to rear, in red brick and clay tile. Interior: main block first floor was originally one room and has elaborate plaster ceiling (cut by some C20; partitioning). Probably early C17. 5 quatrefoil panels along middle of ceiling, central one showing cost of arms possibly belonging to Thomas Colby of London, who purchased the manor in 1566 (VCH 3, p.236) or his descendants. Other main panels show scriptural subjects, including The Fall, whilst borderng panels contain variety of devices including portraits, foliage, animals, birds and grotesques. Cornice includes frieze of putti and grapevine.

Listing NGR: TL0847445585

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1912), 236

National Grid Reference: TL 08474 45585

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114166 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:58:11.

End of official listing