ST JOHN'S HOMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114179

Date first listed: 17-May-1984

Statutory Address: ST JOHN'S HOMES, BEDFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JOHN'S HOMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114179 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:46:26.

Location

Statutory Address: ST JOHN'S HOMES, BEDFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bedford (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Kempston

National Grid Reference: TL 02883 47562

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 04NW KEMPTON URBAN BEDFORD ROAD

2/91 St John's Homes - - II

Almshouses. Founded 1881 by Mrs Anne Jane Charles Williamson, for members of the Church of England. Red brick structure, ground floor clad in colour washed plaster with red brick dressings, first floor hung with decorative tiles, some mock timber framing to projecting gables. Clay tile roofs. 2- storeyed 5-bay main block, with single storeyed single-bay blocks to W and E, the latter with hipped roofs. Neo-vernacular style. To centre of main block is unusual bay window, canted to LH side only, overhung by large jettied gabled projection, itself with jettied attic. First floor has projecting 4- light window on brackets. Attic has crucifix to centre, and below it the letter "A.M.D.C." incised in bressumer. First floor bressumer incised with "In memoriam". Below first floor window are 4 plasterwork panels, 2 central ones with coats of arms, outer ones with "A.D." and '1881". To each end of main block is canted bay surmounted by smaller gabled and jettied first floor with 3-light projecting window. 2 recessed bays each have 3-light casement under cambered head to ground floor, and 2 small windows and one gabled projecting 2-light window to first floor. One 3-light window to each side wing. Frost windows are casements, upper part only with glazing bars. Coors, all of 6 panels with top pair glazed, are arranged 1-2-1-1-2-1 overall, and have tiled porch canopies. Variety of tall multiple stacks. Bargeboards to gables. Anne Williamson, herself a widow, inhabited the central first floor flat.

Listing NGR: TL0288347562

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 36728

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing