Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114191.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:21:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bedford (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 10605 49908



4/116 Stables of former Manor House (formerly listed as Willington Stables) 13.7.64 GV I

Stableblock, originally belonging to Manor house. Probably between 1535 and 1541. Built by Sir John Gostwick, at one time Master of the horse to Cardinal Wolsey and later in service of Henry VIII as Treasurer and Receiver-General of the First Fruits and Tenths at the Dissolution. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, possibly reused from Newnham Priory (dissolved 1535). Clay tile roof. Rectangular 2-storeyed block, first floor probably being accommodation for grooms. Crow-stepped gables with moulded copings and gargoyles to kneelers. String course to all sides at first floor level, and at eaves level to gable ends. 3-stage buttresses, diagonal to corners, 2 each to front and rear. Front (W) elevation: ground floor has 2 4-light windows to outer bays. Each has 4-centred arched lights and stone mullions under square heads with moulded labels. First floor has similar 3-light window to R of central bay. Broad central doorway with 4-centred head and moulded dripstone. E elevation: 3-light window to first floor central bay, in similar style to front elevation. Ground floor RH bay has blocked square headed 3-light window with relieving arch above. To ground floor of LH bay is blocked square headed doorway. To first floor of LH bay is chimney breast supported by 3 different corbels. Gable ends: each has 3-light window, in similar style to others, except that one (serving room with fireplace) has more complex mouldings to mullions, heads and surround. Both have a relieving arch and eaves level string course which returns around the base of the window. Interior: all windows have internal wood lintels. Ground floor retains post holes in floor and E wall, originally supporting stalls and troughs. First floor has 5-bay queen strut roof, with open arch-braced collar truss to centre of each bay. Divided into 2 rooms, 3 bays to N, 2 bays to S, by timber framed wall with brick infill and plastered surface. This wall is recessed to W half, the recessed area being ceiled over. The attic level of the first, third and fourth main trusses (from N) are also infilled. S room has fireplace to E wall, with depressed 4-centred arch, and back wall in herringbone brick with some C20 repairing. "John Bunyan 1650" incised into chimney piece is probably not genuine. building refloored C20, and stairs inserted to replace ladder. (Willington Dovecote and Stable, Tudor Farm Buildings, National Trust leaflet, with text by J Godber.)

Listing NGR: TL1060549908


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Godber, J, Willington Dovecote and Stable Tudor Farm Buildings


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01826/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Clive Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].