POOR LAW INSTITUTION (THE CEDARS)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114457

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Mar-1972

Statutory Address: POOR LAW INSTITUTION (THE CEDARS), 1, DUNSTABLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of POOR LAW INSTITUTION (THE CEDARS)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 17:50:20.

Location

Statutory Address: POOR LAW INSTITUTION (THE CEDARS), 1, DUNSTABLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ampthill

National Grid Reference: TL 03392 37482

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 774 DUNSTABLE STREET (East Side)

Poor Law Institution No 1 (The Cedars)

TL 0337 2/74 17.7.51.

II

2. Mid C19; circa 1835 building of monumental design (influence of current fashion for Italian style). 2 and 3 storeys brown-red brick. Slate roof. Cruciform plan, in which large square blocks of 3 storeys at the points and at the intersection of the cross are linked by lower straight ranges of 2 storeys. The main motif is of triple, arcaded windows set close together at intervals throughout the whole building. The motif is used, centrally at each of the 3 storeys, on each outer face of the square blocks, leaving an impressive expanse of smooth uninterrupted brickwork, which is relieved only by narrow strings binding the whole block at the level of the arcades' spring. Each window has a great number of intersecting glazing bars. Very deeply projecting hipped slate roofs rise piramid-wise over the main blocks to terminate in single massive chimney stacks. The central block has slightly canted corners, so that in its case the hipped roof rises from an octagonal base and it terminates in a stack somewhat larger than the others, itself also of octagonal shape. Architect: James Clephane, who built Wrest Park House and Orangery.

Listing NGR: TL0339237482

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37386

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing