JESMOND PARISH CHURCH AND CHOIR VESTRY ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1115542
Date first listed:
17-Dec-1971
Statutory Address:
JESMOND PARISH CHURCH AND CHOIR VESTRY ATTACHED, ESLINGTON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115542.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 04:53:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
JESMOND PARISH CHURCH AND CHOIR VESTRY ATTACHED, ESLINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 25276 65369

Details

NZ 26 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ESLINGTON ROAD (south side, off) 9/234 17/12/71 Jesmond Parish Church and choir vestry attached. G.V. II Parish church. 1857-61 by John Dobson; vestry 1874; paid for by public subscription to commemorate Rev. R. Clayton, a leading Evangelical. Gothic style. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; roofs of Welsh slate. Aisled nave with galleries; chancel; south porches, one in east tower; west baptistry. Western porch has boarded double door in splayed reveals to moulded arch. Lozenge with tracery above under steeply-pitched gable with overlapping coping and cross finial. Eastern porch has diagonally-boarded double door in moulded and shafted opening. Both doors have head-stopped drip mould. 4-stage tower has door between buttresses; and niche flanked by windows in triple arcade above; clock in third stage; tall paired 2-light belfry openings above. Corbel table to pierced parapet with open- arched corner turrets. Aisles have 2-light windows, square-headed below and Decorated to galleries, in gabled bays defined by buttresses with gargoyles. Large 5-light east window with Decorated tracery. 2-light square-headed baptistry windows under head-stopped drip moulds; roll-moulded parapet coping. Interior: painted ashlar and plaster above boarded dado with Gothic pierced frieze; Gothic-panelled galleries; arch-braced collar-beam roof. 4 bays to nave and 2 to chancel, with an extra north bay, have octagonal piers with flower capitals and slightly-pointed single-chamfered arches; similar carving to shafts of roof trusses alternating with corbels. Chancel panelling memorial to Charles Dixon, D.L.I., died 1917, with high-relief reredos of Last Supper. Painted Gothic arcading flanking window has pictures of saints, reaching to roof. Memorial panel to Rev. Richard Clayton over vestry door. Square shafted font with wood cover; baptistry and gallery fronts 1907 memorial recorded on panel with enamel roundel, to members of Lang family. Glass by Atkinson Bros., Newcastle in south baptistry and in north aisle; east window of north aisle has window by J.B. Capronnier, Brussels, 1886. Bronze memorial plaque in north aisle by F. Clubb and Son, Hampstead, to R. G. Hoare, died 1899. Perpendicular-style link to 3-sided apse of attached 2-bay choir vestry with 2-light windows, corner shafts, gargoyles on eaves string; high hipped roof.

Listing NGR: NZ2527665369

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304546
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03602/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].