CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115561

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, HOLMES CHAPEL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 16:11:12.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, HOLMES CHAPEL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Chelford

National Grid Reference: SJ 81907 73970

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHELFORD C.P. HOLMES CHAPEL ROAD SJ 87 SW 6/4 Church of St. John 14 4 67

GV II*

Church. 1776 with later additions. Red Flemish and English garden wall bond brick with stone dressings and a slate roof. West tower, nave with gallery and chancel. South front: stone base tower to left of 3 stages diagonally buttressed. One ground floor lancet with stone surround and hood mould. Stone surrounded lancet to second stage. Stone surround to belfry lancet with louvres. Battlemented parapet. Octagonal spire covered with diamond-shaped slates and crowned by weather-vane. There are stone bands between each stage and below the parapet and stone off-sets to the buttresses which die into the tower at the level of the band above the second stage. West front: pointed arched doorway with hood mould. Blank shield above. Lancet above this. Circular clock face set in square stone surround with belfry opening above. Nave of 4 bays. Four-centred double doorway to left with stone surround above 3 stone steps. Y-tracery window above with hood mould and cusping to central upper light. Similar windows to right extending lower. Original chancel of one bay extended c.1902 to make it of 2 bays. Triple lancet window beneath four-centred stone relieving arch to left. One lancet to right with hood mould. The buttresses between the windows and at the south-east angle have swept weathering. North front similar save for recent C20 addition to right of chancel. East end: window contemporary with 1776 building, reset. Intersecting tracery and cusping forming 2 mouchettes and a quatrefoil at the top. Interior: C18 box pews with raised and fielded panels. Two side aisles but none to centre. Western gallery (now converted to meeting room). Ceiling has decorative central motif and triglyphs to cornice. Chancel has glass of c.1860 to east window and painted mural decoration of sprays of flowers and figures of saints to all chancel walls and to east wall of nave in an Art Nouveau style. Similarly Art Nouveau pulpit, altar rails and choir stalls designed by Percy Worthington in 1903.

Listing NGR: SJ8190773970

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59045

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing