OTTERDEN PLACE, AND DONKEY WHEEL ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115729

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: OTTERDEN PLACE, AND DONKEY WHEEL ATTACHED, BUNCE COURT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OTTERDEN PLACE, AND DONKEY WHEEL ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115729 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 09:40:15.

Location

Statutory Address: OTTERDEN PLACE, AND DONKEY WHEEL ATTACHED, BUNCE COURT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: Otterden

National Grid Reference: TQ 94668 54202

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OTTERDEN BUNCE COURT ROAD TQ 95 SW (west side)

5/244 Otterden Place, and 20.10.52. Donkey Wheel attached GV II* Mansion. Built by Sir Anthony Aucher in mid C16, altered early C18 and 1787-88. Altered and partly rebuilt by William Pilkington for Granville Hastings Wheler 1801-3. Red brick, C16 work in English bond, C19 work interspersed with grey headers, in Flemish bond. Plain-tile roof. C16 courtyard house, with octagonal tower to north-west corner and long gallery to west side. House truncated 1788, leaving northern half, of which south elevation rebuilt and east elevation altered in 1801-3. 2 storeys attic and cellars. South (entrance) front: Rendered moulded string below crenellated brick parapet. Projecting wing to right and to left, each with full-height canted bay. Central section also has full-height central bay. Hipped roofs to wings. Various octagonal. stacks; row of five, probably partly C16, towards left end, two C16 rear moulded brick flues to left, two, probably C16, to left of centre, C19 row of five set further back to right end of central section, with two C16 flues aligned behind them. Tops of further stacks visible behind ridge of central section. Low dormers behind parapet. Regular fenestration of rendered, plain- chamfered brick mullioned and transomed windows; 2 tiers of 8 lights to each floor of each wing, 2 tiers of 5 lights with hoodmould to centre of central canted bay with single mullioned and transomed window to each side, the bay flanked by one similar 4-light window either side. Projecting single-storey brick porch, also embattled, to central canted bay, with ribbed door in 4-centred arched moulded architrave with hoodmould. East front: extensive areas of C16 red brick in English bond. One broad, slightly projecting bay either end. Crenellation and string returned from south front,both dropped lower in central section. Regular fenestration of mullioned and transomed windows with hoodmoulds. North front: C16 brick, with C18 wood modillion eaves cornice. 6 tall early C18 glazing-bar sashes to ground floor and later mullioned and transomed windows to first floor. West, gable end has large projecting C16 brick stack with 2 moulded brick flues, not visible from south front. C16 polygonal brick turret to south-west corner with moulded string and crenellation. Pointed brick archway running west from tower, dated 1825, leading to horizontal donkey wheel. Donkey wheel: under lean-to canopy attached to south wall of north range at west end. About 25 feet from deep well to wheel, which has automatic braking system. Interior: At least three C16 moulded stone fireplaces. Late C16 moulded stone doorway to cellar stairs, with contemporary ribbed door. Roof over truncated long gallery, of 3½ bays, with vertical queen struts to rafters and short curved windbraces, ceiled at collar level. Early C18 raised and fielded panelling to west ground-floor room of north range, with moulded dado rail and cornice. pulvinated frieze over door and coved and moulded mantlepiece. Small room towards south end of east range on first floor with late C18 hand painted Chinese wall- paper on blue ground, divided into vertical panels by narrow strips of buffish paper painted with pale bamboos, which continue horizontally as frieze. Early Cl9 entrance hall with staircase of slender neo-classical balusters, Tuscan columns to ground floor and Ionic to first. Owned since early C18 by Wheler family, also owners, from 1789, of Ledston Hall Estate, Yorkshire. Site of first experiments with electric line, conducted June 1729 by the Rev. Granville Wheler and Dr. Stephen Gray. (J. Lees-Milne, Otterden Place, Kent, Country Life, August 27th 1970. J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, North East and East Kent, 1969).

Listing NGR: TQ9466854202

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 173982

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1969)
'Country Life' in 27 August, (1970)

End of official listing