Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1115951

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Feb-1984



Ordnance survey map of FLAT NUMBERS 13 TO 26 (CONSECUTIVELY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115951 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 12:29:13.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Gayhurst

National Grid Reference: SP 84568 46260


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/51 flat Nos. 13-26 consecutively) Gayhurst Court formerly listed as Gayhurst House)



Country house now flats. 1597-c1603 for William Moulsoe and Sir Everard Digby his son in law. S.W. wing incorporates earlier C16 house. North front c.1750 for George Wright, restoration and internal work by William Burges for Lord Carrington between 1859 and 1872. Coursed limestone, concealed roofs, stone chimneys. S.E. and N.E. front of 2 storeys with plinth, strings over windows, parapets, 5 ogee gables on S.E. front with moulded copings and finials on apex and on parapet between them. S.E. (entrance) front has recessed centre part of 5 gabled bays, the centre being a projecting 3 storey porch with arched doorway with architrave, impost and keyblocks, flanked by Doric columns on plinths, supporting entablature with triglyph frieze broken forward over columns. Above is 8-light leaded stone mullioned and transomed window flanked by Ionic columns on plinths whose top moulding carries round as a string with a stone cartouche in centre below. The columns support entablature and 2nd floor which oversails and has 4 light stone mullioned window. On the ground floor the porch has a panelled dado and seats at sides. Porch is flanked by gabled bays with 4 light stone mullioned windows to 2nd floor and 8 light mullioned and transomed windows below. The outer bays project into the angles with the wings and have 2 and 4 light windows in the return walls. Outer projecting wings with higher parapets, that on the S.W. side false at 2nd floor masking roof of earlier house. 12 light stone mullioned and transomed windows to each floor, 1st floor windows taller. Inner elevations have one bay of 8 light windows. N.E. front has plain parapet, 5 bays, the centre a projecting 3 storey porch with 3 arched openings to ground floor with architraves, keyblocks, and moulded imposts continuing as band. Above are 8-light mullioned and transomed windows. One bay of similar windows each side, and at outer corners angular bays full height with 4 light mullioned and transomed windows on each face. All windows on both fronts have leaded lights, large lozenge shaped and small square panes, some on N.E. front altered to sash windows. N.W. front altered c.1750 by George Wright, 2-storey central part of 7 bays, ashlar dressings, plinth, 1st floor band, bracketted cornice and blocking course. Sash windows in architrave surrounds. 1st floor windows taller with pulvinated friezes and alternate triangular and segmental pediments, former with carved console brackets. In centre an arched doorway in Doric porch, triglyph frieze and balustraded parapet. Flanking wings of Jacobean house altered in Cl8. 3 storeys, Venetian window on ground floor, triangular pedimented sash window to first floor, small sash window with architrative swept out to cill on the with architrave swept out to cill on second floor. S.W. elevation has tiled roof and 3 gables, apparently part of earlier house. Service wing attached, listed separately. Interior central hall with. simple C18 plaster panelling, coved ceiling stone chimney piece. In centre of N,E, end large stone arch flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters carrying entablature. Soffit of arch richly carved. N.E. wing (Flat 24) S. room is the Abbess's Room with elaborate decorations by Burges 1861 and 1872. Monumental chimney piece, coved lintel carved with mermaids etc., brass fire surround; room entirely panelled and painted, narrow panels with flowers, by Frederick Smallfield. Delicate ironwork to doors. N. room has oak panelling. C17 carved overmantel and moulded plaster ceiling. N.W. room, formerly dining room, has 2 large stone chimney pieces by Burges 1861 with overmantels carved by Nicholls to represent Paradise Lost and Regained. Main Staircase early Cl8, twisted balusters, panelled dado, plaster cornice and ornamental plaster panel to upper wall. C18 doors and doorcases. First floor landing has staircase and doorway by Burges 1859. Heavy tympanum inscribed 'Guard Room' below stone staircase supported on gigantic corbel representing Caliban, looking at smaller corbel carving of Ariel. Heavy stone newels, balustrades, panelled soffit coffered ceiling above with octagonal pointed panels, pendants. Service staircase,also by Burges with simple iron balustrade. L. rooms at S.W. end a fireplace by Burges carved with mermaids 1869.

RCHM II p 116 Mon 2. Country Life Jan 1903

Listing NGR: SP8456846260


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 350956

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Country Life' in January, (1903)
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

End of official listing