This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE JOHN GEORGE JOICEY MUSEUM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE JOHN GEORGE JOICEY MUSEUM

List entry Number: 1116207

Location

THE JOHN GEORGE JOICEY MUSEUM, CITY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Newcastle upon Tyne

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 304462

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2564 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CITY ROAD (north side)

21/157 The John George Joicey 14/6/54 Museum. (formerly listed as The Holy Jesus Hospital)

G.V. II*

Almshouses, now museum. 1681, for the Corporation of Newcastle upon Tyne, to house a master and 39 poor freemen or freemen's widows; heightened later. English garden wall bond brick; renewed pantiled roof. 3 storeys, 15 windows. 1886 rear wing. Arcaded ground floor has 30 rubbed and moulded brick arches. First floor has alternate flat and segmental brick arches to 3-light casements with brick aprons; central feature of keyed semicircular pediment, breaking second floor string, rests on mask bracket and has cartouches in tympanum and below. String breaks forward over flanking pilasters crowned by consoles. Plain second-floor casements. Moulded floor strings; dog-tooth cornice. Roof with shaped gable ends has corniced brick chimney stacks. 1886 rear wing in similar style, built as soup kitchen. Interior shows central stair with turned balusters and high grip handrail with lion finial. Source: H. Bourne, History of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle 1736, p. 137.

Listing NGR: NZ2522564177

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bourne, H, History of Newcastle upon Tyne, (1736), 137

National Grid Reference: NZ 25225 64177

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 05:22:02.

End of official listing