CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1116253
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116253 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 20:51:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Frittenden
National Grid Reference:
TQ 81318 40953

Details

FRITTENDEN THE STREET TQ 8040-8140 (north west side) 14/54 Church of St Mary 20.6.67 GV II* Parish church. 1846-8 by R C Hussey, incorporating base of C15 tower; extended and restored 1861 and 1881. Wealden sandstone with Caen stone dressings and plain tiled roof. Chancel with south chapel, nave with aisles, north and south porches northern vestry and western tower. Three stage tower, the lower 2 stages at least C15, with offset corner buttresses and basement to recessed stone spire with enriched lucarnes. North-western angle vice. Stone clock face in north elevation. C15 west window with C19 Perpendicular style western door- way. The rest of the building is entirely C19, a rebuilding of the medieval church, with Decorated style fenestration with segmental heads and reticulated tracery to nave, cusped-tracery and pointed arched heads with hood moulds to chapel, and split cusp and "Geometric tracery to chancel. North-western vestry with cusped bargeboard to projecting gable. Interior: tall, narrow C15 tower arch with double eave moulded surround and round responds with octagonal capi- tals. Blank traceried surround to west doorway with thin attached shafts to west window over embattled and quatrefoiled frieze, all C19. three bay south arcade, with pointed horse-shoe shaped arches. Two bay north arcade, with finer moulding and normal pointed arches (north aisle added 1861). Octagonal press and responds and double chamfered arches to both arcades. Embattled wall plate and moulded corbels to boarded waggon roof to nave; pierced queen post roof on corbels to south aisle, with braced rafter roof to north aisle, with string course and hood moulds to window reveals and doors to porch and vestry. Chancel and south chapel arches of same pattern as nave south arcade. Two bay arcade from chancel to south chapel, with trussed rafter roof to chancel, boarded roof to chapel. Fittings: good survival of original C19 fittings: painted stone surround to east window, creating a triptch effect with texts in the flanking panels. C19 choir stalls, half-height screen with quartrefoil frieze and spiked rail. Trelobed piscina on north wall, tiled sanctuary and black and white tiled chancel, carved wooden alter. Benches and box pews in nave and aisles with integral brass candleholders. Brass lecturn and wooden pulpit on stone base; octagonal font with 2 tier wooden cover and iron and brass font crane. Early C19 geometric glass throughout, with later C19 glass in the east windows, especially chancel east window, to Rev Edward Moore, 1891 by W Bucknall and J N Comper. Incised and painted texts and inscriptions over various doorways and arches, that over south porch recording that the church was restored and enlarged by Reverend Edward and Lady Harriet Moore, 1847. Moore was patron as well as vicar of the church and village, and many houses and facilities in the parish are due to him. (See Igglesden 16, 1923).

Listing NGR: TQ8131840953

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
169404
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Igglesden, C, Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil, (1923)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07201/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Henry Teed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].