CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1116267
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH CAUSEWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116267.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:31:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH CAUSEWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Thorp Arch
National Grid Reference:
SE 43796 46080

Details

SE44NW THORP ARCH CHURCH CAUSEWAY LS23 (east side)

2/l10 Church of All Saints 30.3.66

GV II

Church. C12 south door, C15 tower otherwise of 1871-2 by G. E. Street. Coursed, dressed magnesian limestone, red tile and Welsh slate roofs, West tower, 4-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, narrower 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: Perpendicular; moulded plinth; offset diagonal buttresses flank a hollow-chamfered and cusped 3-light west window beneath hoodmould with head-carved stops; 2 slit windows above. Large square sundial with iron gnomon on south side. String course beneath belfry stage having chamfered, pointed 2-light windows with hoodmoulds; another string course with gargoyles to north and south and small central shields beneath embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: Gothic Revival style; gabled porch on left with diagonal buttresses, moulded arch with hoodmould and gable copings with old apex cross. C12 south doorway within has renewed shafts and carved capitals to round arch with beakheads; headless figure reset in east wall of porch; other carved fragments opposite; also a detached block with 2 crudely-carved faces, probably C14. Body of nave has hollow-chamfered plinth, diagonal west buttress and angle buttress to east; string course drops down on left beneath tall single-light window; two 2-light windows to right both narrow and trefoiled. Gable copings with east cross. North aisle: buttresses as nave; string course beneath three square-headed windows each having 2 cusped lights in hollow-chamfered surround; pointed 2-light west window. Chancel: lower. Quadrant-moulded priests' door with hoodmould having head-carved stops; on its left a 2-light window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould. Angle buttresses flank a 3-light east window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould having head-carved stops; small gable slit; east gable copings with cross. Lean-to north vestry with string course beneath 2-light north window as aisle and carried over pointed doorway; 2- light east window with cross in sunken panel over. Interior; plain, pointed tower arch now plastered over. C19 north arcade has round piers and moulded capitals to double-cavetto moulded arches; similar chancel arch. Alabaster reredos, with arched niche on north wall housing C14 child's cross slab inscribed 'HICJACET JOHES FILIUS JOHIS DE BELEWE'. Painted panelling to chancel ceiling. C20 fittings. H. Speight,Lower Wharfedale, 1902, pp 426-428.

Listing NGR: SE4379646080

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
342033
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H , Lower Wharfedale, (1902), 426-428

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16035/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Sunderland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].