Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116337.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:13:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rugby (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 49664 84802


WILLEY MAIN STREET SP48SE (East side) 8/30 Church of St. Leonard 06/10/60 - II*

Small church. Nave and tower late C14/C15. Chancel rebuilt, vestry and south porch added and parapets renewed in 1884 at the expense of the Reverend F.M. Payler. Tower and part of nave of sandstone ashlar. Remainder of sandstone rubble with limestone dressings. Chancel and porch have moulded cornices, stone slate roofs and coped gable parapets with gablet kneelers. Nave roof is hidden by embattled parapet. Chancel, nave, west tower, south porch, north vestry. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has north and south buttresses flush with east wall. 3-light east window has curvilinear tracery. Cross finial. Moulded trefoiled-arch south doorway has hood mould with shield stops, and plank door. Cinqfoiled eastern lancet to north and south. 2-light south-west window has simple tracery. Vestry has quoins. North side has paired segmental pointed lancets. Gable apex has round chimney stack. Chamfered segmental-arched west doorway with plank door. Half-octagonal rood loft stair turret between vestry and nave has renewed upper part with embattled parapet. Nave has splay plinth. South side has 3 buttresses of 2 offsets. Porch has buttresses flush with front. Doorway of 2 run-out chamfered orders has hood mould. Gable has blind trefoil. Chamfered doorway and plank door inside. North and south sides have straight-headed Perpendicular windows, of 3 lights with hood moulds to east, and 2 much smaller lights to west. Blocked north doorway. Small tower of 3 stages has splay and moulded plinth, and splays between stages. Diagonal west, and north and south buttresses of 5 offsets. First stage has 4-centred west window. Second stage has quatrefoil opening to south. Third stage has bell openings with hood moulds and remains of carved stops. West window and bell openings have cusped Y-tracery. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. Interior is plastered, but chancel is of colourwashed brick, with boarded roof. Piscina. C19 chancel arch has outer continuous chamfer and inner order with half-octagonal responds. Nave has 4-centred rood loft stair doorway with plank door, and chamfered Tudor-arched doorway above. Tower arch of 2 segmental pointed orders. Perpendicular roof has Clb timbers, with carved wall posts and head corbels. Fittings: C19 altar rails, stalls, font, etc. Disused C14 font has round bowl and octagonal base. C17 altar table. Old plank chest. Monuments: nave north wall has reworked tomb recess with moulded segmental pointed arch. Remains of early C14 effigy, with half-length figure and enriched ogee quatrefoils forming part of a cross. C17 funeral helm and breast plates. The rebuilding cost 1500 pounds. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.2b0-2bl; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.473; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, p.247).

Listing NGR: SP4966484802


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 260 261
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 473
'Kellys Directory' in Warwickshire, (1892), 247


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15694/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].