This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1116437

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Barford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307920

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARFORD Church Street (south side) 25/53 Church of St Peter 11.4.67

GV II*

Parish church. Late C14, Perpendicular tower, remainder of church (chancel, north transceptal organ chamber and vestry, nave, north and south aisles) rebuilt in 1844 in Perpendicular style by R C Hussey, paid for by Miss Louisa Ann Ryland. Ashlar stone with pitched slate roofs. West tower with chamfered plinth, embattled parapet and at angles diagonal buttresses. In south wall former doorway to church, in west wall window of three cinquefoil lights without tracery under two centred head. Bell chamber has one window on each elevation of two trefoil lights. Clock on west wall 1844. Externally north and south aisles of five bays with buttresses between bays. North aisle has five rectangular paired trefoil windows in north wall, a three-light trefoil window in west wall, organ chamber at east end. South aisle has four rectangu- lar paired trefoil windows, modern glazed door under four centred arch, now main entrance to church, protected by gabled porch. West wall has a three- light trefoil window, east wall has a three-light trefoil window. Aisles of five bay arcades, two chamfered orders on polygonal piers. Hammerbeam roof trusses to nave and chancel. Chancel of two bays with two rectangular trefoil windows on south side and on north wall of organ chamber and vestry external door and three rectangular windows with trefoil lights. A three-light trefoil window in east wall of vestry. High segmental pointed chancel arch of two chamfered orders dying on square jambs. East chancel window of five trefoil lights with stained glass by Holland of Warwick, 1845. Interior: Mid-Cl9 font (1844) at western end of nave passage. Box pews with poppyhead bench ends. C16 iron bound chest at east end of north aisle. Monuments: North wall of chancel - above vestry door tablet with small urn in front of obelisk to John Mills, 1791; to east, mural monument to Thomas Dugard A.M., 1683 consisting of stone tablet with Corinthian columns, entablature and open pediment, putto head at foot. South wall of chancel - draped urn to Jane Mills, 1841 by J Browne of London; urn on pedestal to Charles Mills, 1826. West wall of south aisle - urn on pedestal to Frances Cattell, 1795 by King and Son of London; draped urn on pedestal to William Mills, 1820 by Henry Westmacott. West wall of north aisle - urn on pedestal to Sarah Mills, 1807 by J King of London. Lying in the tower is defaced C14 recumbent effigy of a woman. Graveyard: to south of nave two table tombs, one to Thomas Handley, 1831, the other to Sarah Handley, 1853, two table tombs to south of chancel to Jane Cary, 1817, the other defaced. Thomas Arch buried in Churchyard.



Listing NGR: SP2723460909

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 27234 60909

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116437 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 03:16:45.

End of official listing