This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1117354

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Whitton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 441003

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 92 SW WHITTON CHURCH HILL (south side) 2/27 Church of Saint John 6.11.67 GV II*

Church. C11-12 tower; nave, chancel, tower roof and restorations 1892-7 by W & C.A. Bassett-Smith of London. Tower of roughly-coursed ironstone rubble with bands of limestone and gritstone blocks; nave and chancel of re-used limestone and gritstone ashlar with bands of ironstone rubble. Ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. West tower with west entrance, 2-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining south side. 2-stage tower: quoins, tall first stage with round-headed west door and keyhole slit to south side, chamfered string course, original round-headed belfry openings to second stage with C19 tracery. Italianate boldly dentilled ashlar eaves cornice and pyramidal roof. Pointed 2-light traceried windows to nave, and moulded cill band, single traceried lancets and pointed 3-light east window to chancel, all with Geometrical-style tracery. Interior: C12 round-headed tower arch with chamfered hoodmould; moulded chancel arch in Early English style; double-chamfered arch to vestry; C19 ashlar pulpit and chancel rail with pierced trefoils. C12 font with moulded base and carved octagonal bowl supported on shafts, restored C19. N. Pevsner and J. Harris, The Buildings of England. Lincolnshire, 1978, 421. Drawing by C. Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: SE9025324525

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 421

National Grid Reference: SE 90253 24525

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117354 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 01:00:08.

End of official listing