HYDEBANK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1117356

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: HYDEBANK HOUSE, OAKWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HYDEBANK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117356 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 19:16:31.

Location

Statutory Address: HYDEBANK HOUSE, OAKWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Stockport (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 94782 90351

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ99SW WERNETH OAKWOOD ROAD 1/215A (SOUTH SIDE) HYDEBANK HOUSE

GV II

House - Possible C17 origin, but largely rebuilt in 1806 for Samuel Oldknow and extensively remodelled in 1897. Coursed square rubble with some ashlar (1897) and slate roofs. 3-bay central stair hall plan. It is a rebuilding of the polite portion of an older house, which continued as the service wings. With the remodelling in 1897, it became a separate property. 2 storeys and attic. 3-bay front. The ground floor has 1897 rectangular 3-light ashlar bays flanking the 1806 entrance above 3 plate glass sashes in plain stone surrounds. Cornice. 2 ridge stacks curiously placed, the central one well clear of the fireplace vertical. The side elevation west has a 2-storey canted bay of 1897 and the east one a blocked 2-light mullioned window above a single light one, which are very mysterious and may not be insitu. The attic floor of both gables is very clearly a heightening of 1806 with the coursed square rubble of a quite different character and this contains a Y-tracery window at each gable. The so-called Oldknow windows, which the owner also introduced into his mills in the area.

Interior - The stair hall is stone flagged and has a stone staircase of 1806 with stick balusters and mahogony handrail with curtail. Detail is otherwise a mixture of 1806 and 1897, apart from the c1870 introduced fireplace in the drawing-room. There are a couple of Georgian hob grates, 2 1897 ceilings, a cupboard, but nothing of real note. The principal interest of the House is the historic association with the builder of 1806, Samuel Oldknow, a local mill owner and the chief mover of the Peak Forest Canal which runs through Hydebank tunnel under the garden before the House. This association, together with its group value with the older Hydebank Farmhouse, makes the House, with some architectural interest, listable.

Listing NGR: SJ9478290351

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 442200

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing