CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1117390

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, GUY'S CLIFFE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117390 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 08:11:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, GUY'S CLIFFE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick (District Authority)

Parish: Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe

National Grid Reference: SP 29312 66810

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GUY'S CLIFFE

10/375

Chapel of St Mary Magdalene

(formerly included as Guy's Cliffe Chapel)

11.4.67

GV

II*

Circa early C15, altered mid C18 and early C19, restored 1874 and 1933. Circa 600 oratory chapel dedicated to St Mary Magdalene founded at Guy's Cliffe by Saint Dubritius. Circa 1430 present chapel rebuilt by Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, at cost £184. Circa 1764 chapel restored and upper part of tower built with crocketted pinnacles and parapet with battlements and frieze with cusped arcade. 1819-24 interior re-constructed and west and north-east windows 'open-up'. 1974 chapel adapted for use as Masonic Temple.

Consists of two parallel aisles of five bays with a porch and small tower at the centre of south-west wall. Hipped plain tile roof with gabled end to river. North-east third of random sandstone rubble, remainder of sandstone ashlar. Hollow chamfered windows with roll mouldings, one has tracery. Quatrefoil window to left hand side of tower. Winding stone staircase in tower leads to priests' rooms in rafters. Beneath chapel is undercroft and below that a barrel-vaulted chamber 6 metres by 2.4 metres known as dungeon. Chapel contains late C14 mutilated statue 2.4 metres high, carved out of rock face, reputed to represent Guy of Warwick who is held to have occupied the nearby excavations in the rock. John Rous, the C15 antiquarian, was a priest here.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13 September 2018.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 308037

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing