Jubilee Obelisk

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1117765
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1975
Statutory Address:
Jubilee Obelisk, Bachelor's Acre, Windsor

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117765.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2020 at 12:22:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
Jubilee Obelisk, Bachelor's Acre, Windsor

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 96823 76618

Details

SU 9676 NE 3/128

BACHELOR'S ACRE Jubilee Obelisk

II

Portland stone obelisk on corniced plinth. The inscriptions have been renewed. Erected 19 May 1810.

One plaque reads as follows: "Grand National Jubilee celebrated 25 October 1809. The Bachelors of Windsor hereby gratefully record the condescension of HM Queen Charlotte and her August Family in honouring them with their presence in this Acre to witness the roasting of an ox, the gift of R O Fenwick Esq of the Royal Horse Guards Blue, of which as also Plum Puddings provided by the Bachelors, they graciously partook amidst the acclamation of the joyful populace to whom this old English Fare was distributed".

The other plaque records the Jubilee event "... the Obelisk to commemorate the Happy Event of HM King George III entering the 50th year of his reign, was erected by the Bachelors of Windsor as a tribute of their gratitude for the particular esteem he has on all occasions manifested for their native town".

Listing NGR: SU9682876644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
40399
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/03505/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Mackey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].