This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

JOHN BRIDLE'S HALL SCHOOL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JOHN BRIDLE'S HALL SCHOOL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1117844

Location

JOHN BRIDLE'S HALL, LOWER ROAD
SCHOOL HOUSE, LOWER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hardwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42165

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 81 NW HARDWICK LOWER ROAD

6/16 John Bridle's Hall and School House -

- II

Village hall, formerly school, and house. Hall is dated 1871 on tablet, possibly designed by George Devey. House altered and extended at similar date for school-master, but has C17-early C18 core. Hall is of red brick with blue diapers and irregular rubble stone in lower walls and plinth. Ashlar window surrounds and mullions. Tiled roof, stone coped gables, brick chimneys with off-set stacks and diagonal shafts. L-plan with extensions in rear angle. One storey. Front to road has gabled cross wing to left with cross window and small round opening above. Upper lights of cross window have 4-centred heads. Range to right has similar eaves-breaking window to centre with gable over, and flanking 2-light windows. Square timber bell-cote has ogee lead roof with ball finial. Entry to rear. House attached to right has 1870s extension to front, of red brick with half-timbered gable to projecting bay, and chimney with 3 diagonal shafts in angle. Wing to rear has some timber framing, obscured by lean-to to west, tile hung to far gable, but is partly rebuilt in brick. Central chimney, tiled roofs. 1½ storeys. Irregular wooden casements, board door in lean-to porch to left. RCHM II p.143 Mon. 13.

Listing NGR: SP8053419228

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 80534 19228

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117844 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:48:21.

End of official listing