Prison gate, former governor's house and chaplain's house, HM Prison Aylesbury (Aylesbury Gaol)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1117983
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1973
Statutory Address:
HM Prison Aylesbury, 13-21, Bierton Road, Aylesbury

Map

Ordnance survey map of Prison gate, former governor's house and chaplain's house, HM Prison Aylesbury (Aylesbury Gaol)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117983 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 06:15:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
HM Prison Aylesbury, 13-21, Bierton Road, Aylesbury

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
Parish:
Aylesbury
National Grid Reference:
SP8268814450

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 31/05/2018

SP 81 SW 7/1

BIERTON ROAD Nos 13-21 (odd) Prison gate, former governor’s house and chaplain’s house, HM Prison Aylesbury (Aylesbury Gaol)

(Formerly listed as No 13, Gateway to H M Prison and No 2, BIERTON ROAD)

II A prison gate, flanked by the houses of the governor (east) and chaplain (west). Dated 1845 on the frieze above the gate and designed by Charles James Pierce and Major J Jebb. Red brick with stucco quoins and dressings and an E-shaped plan. The central, tall arch has a massive, rusticated doorway with a portcullis motif in the tympanum. The prominent frieze has a dentil cornice, above which is a blocking course. There is a small, wooden bell turret to the roof. At either side are recessed, two-storey, three-sash-window wings with wide window surrounds and deep, stucco parapets. Beyond these the projecting end blocks each have two taller storeys with first floor sill bands. Three sashes in wide surrounds and central doorways. Above each are a frieze, modillion cornice and blocking course.

Aylesbury Gaol holds a significant place in the campaign for women’s suffrage. It housed a number of suffragette prisoners arrested during mass demonstrations by the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), a militant suffrage organisation whose members used direct action in support of their campaign for the vote. In March 1912 suffragettes carried out a mass window-smashing raid in London. Holloway Gaol, the usual prison for suffragettes, could not cope with the numbers arrested, so many were sent to Aylesbury. On 5 April, the prisoners began a secret hunger strike which went undetected for several days, and when the authorities found out, hunger strikers were fed by force, although four were released on health grounds.

The Aylesbury hunger strike spread to other prisons to become the largest mass hunger strike undertaken by suffragettes, with over eighty prisoners taking part. Aylesbury became the focus for protests against forcible feeding and on 13 April 1912 over 100 protesters marched on the gaol to hold a meeting at the gates. Suffragette prisoners waved handkerchiefs from their cell windows.

This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.

Listing NGR: SP8268814450

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
41802
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burning to Get the Vote: The Women's Suffrage Movement in Central Buckinghamshire, 1904-1914, (2013)
Brodie, Croom, Davies, , English Prisons, (2002), 100, 102
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, (1994), 156

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00072/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].